WIDA English Language Proficiency Assessments
The Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), as amended by the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), requires state education agencies to establish and implement standardized, statewide entrance and exit procedures for English learners (ELs). In accordance with federal regulations, all states are required to:
- Identify the languages other than English present in their student population;
- Assess the language proficiency of students in order to place them in the appropriate language development program; and
- Administer an annual assessment of English proficiency, which includes measuring an EL student’s listening, speaking , reading, and writing skills in English.
WIDA provides the English language proficiency placement and annual assessments administered in Indiana. WIDA Screener assessments are used to identify and inform initial programmatic placement of ELs. WIDA ACCESS summative assessments are administered annually to determine an EL’s current level of English proficiency and to monitor students’ progress in learning academic English. WIDA ACCESS assessments are also used for accountability purposes.
- Kindergarten ACCESS
- ACCESS Online (Grades 1-12)
- ACCESS Paper (Grades 1-12)
- Alternate ACCESS (Grades K-12)
WIDA Screener and ACCESS test items are written from the model performance indicators of WIDA's five English Language Development (ELD) Standards: Social & Instructional Language, Language of Language Arts, Language of Mathematics, Language of Science, and Language of Social Studies.
WIDA Alternate ACCESS incorporates the WIDA ELD Standards Framework, 2020 Edition, and contains an Individual Characteristics Questionnaire. Alternate English language proficiency levels describe how ELs with significant cognitive disabilities use and understand English language and communication.
Sample Items and Scoring
WIDA resources to prepare students for ACCESS testing, including sample items, are available on WIDA’s Preparing for ACCESS Testing and Preparing to Administer Alternate ACCESS web pages. Sample items provide examples of the content and rigor of items that have previously appeared on operational assessments. The sample items are not intended to be a complete test. The Test Practice Site contains an online Test Demo, Test Practice for ACCESS Online and Screener Online, and online Sample Items. These resources provide students with an opportunity to become familiar with the test format/platform, item types, and accommodations, if applicable.
WIDA resources for understanding scoring and reporting, including Interpretive Guides and Speaking and Writing Rubrics, can be found on WIDA’s ACCESS Scores and Reports and Alternate ACCESS Scores and Reports web pages.
Program Specific Policy and Guidance
- 2023-2024 WIDA Assessment Guidance
- 2023-2024 Accessibility and Accommodations Information for Statewide Assessments
- 2023-2024 Indiana English Learner Identification and Placement Guidance