The purpose of this project is to improve the process of data transfer and certification for student and educator level data submitted by schools and school corporations. Data Exchange implementation will begin with the 2020-21 school year. Data Exchange will be regarded as the sole source of truth for all data for the purposes of required reports beginning with the 2021-22 school year. This site will be updated periodically with resources. For questions specific to Data Exchange, please contact email@example.com.
- What is Data Exchange?
The Data Exchange project will implement a solution to improve the transfer and certification of student and educator level data between the IDOE and education entities.
In May 2018, the IDOE publicly announced the Data Exchange project as a part of the LINK Initiative consisting of multiple projects improving customer support for schools. Data Exchange will modernize how data is transferred from schools to the IDOE and how schools access record level data in IDOE systems. Using a widely accepted data standard compatible with most student information systems, schools will be able to automatically transfer data to the IDOE rather than submitting collections of data as is the current practice. Indiana will join other states in a modern approach to managing education data. Details regarding the data standard and the IDOE's implementation partner are shared below. As a consequence of these projects, beginning in the 2022-2023 school year STN Application Center will be retired with the exception of outliers such as the Choice Program.
The Ed-Fi Data Standards and Technology Suite is the foundation of the Data Exchange project. By adopting the Ed-Fi standard, schools will be able to connect their Student Information Systems to an IDOE database and seamlessly transfer data to the IDOE through automated processes. The Ed-Fi technology allows the IDOE to implement data management methods currently used by other State Education Agencies to allow for interoperability between local student information systems and IDOE databases.
The IDOE has partnered with systems integrator Double Line, Inc. from Austin, Texas to provide technical assistance, solution development and implementation services for the implementation of the Ed-Fi technology. This partnership, as well as collaboration with the Ed-Fi Alliance, positions Indiana to implement a strong, statewide solution.
The Ed-Fi technology was developed by the Ed-Fi Alliance. Aligning to the U.S. Department of Education’s Common Data Standards (CEDS) initiative, the Ed-Fi technology provides methodology to achieve streamlined data exchange and enhanced access to timely information. Licensing is available to states, districts, vendors or service providers at no cost. More information about the Ed-Fi Data Standards and Technology Suite are available at https://www.ed-fi.org/.
For upcoming events, including stakeholder communication sessions, please see the LINK News and Events page.
- Identities API
- The solution will implement the Ed-Fi Identities API module for the management of Student Test Number (STN) and School Personnel Number (SPN) identifiers, including the audit tracking and change request processing.
- IDOE will assign randomly generated identifiers for both STN and SPN. STN will remain 9 characters and SPN will remain 8 characters. The revised process will apply to newly created identifiers; IDOE will not require renumbering of existing Students or Educators.
- Master Data Management (MDM)
- The solution will implement new structures for the management of school, school corporation and network configurations.
- MDM will replace the legacy Master File system.
- Data Exchange Validation Portal
- The solution will implement a new web application for review and approval of data.
- Data Exchange API
- The solution will implement Ed-Fi v2.4 API for the transfer of student and educator level data between IDOE and education entities.
- The API will allow local Student Information Systems (SIS) to connect to the IDOE Operational Data Store. System vendors must complete a certification process before credentials will issued.
- IDOE data collections mapped to Ed-Fi v2.4
- Ed-Fi Operational Data Store and API complete on IDOE Development environment
- Identities API complete on IDOE development environment
- Vendor Certification and Onboarding.
* Data Exchange Implementation with SIS Vendors and their identified pilot schools Begin May 2020 * All Data Components must be submitted and certified via Data Exchange 2021-22 School Year * App Center Will be Retired 2022-23 School Year For a more detailed schedule, please review the Data Exchange Implementation Schedule posted within the sections below.
- Identities API
- Data Exchange for Developers
Data Exchange for Developers
These documents define the requisites for systems to successfully integrate with the IDOE Operational Data Store and Master Data Management. The Indiana Ed-Fi Vendor Certification process ensures that systems used by Indiana educational organizations align to the State requirements.
These documents are designed for application developers that are integrating with the IDOE Data Exchange REST API.
Data fields defined as required are indicated as such for vendor certification purposes. School and school corporation requirements will continue to be established per State and Federal data guidelines.
Resource Last Updated Alternative Education Programs 06/07/2022 IDOE List of Assessment Accommodations 08/03/2022 2023 IDOE Vendor Certification Scenarios 08/03/2022 2022 IDOE Vendor Certification Scenarios 05/09/2022 Recording: Data Exchange Vendor Updates 4/22/21
Slides: Data Exchange Vendor Updates 4/22/21
Student Education Organization Association Reference 08/03/2022 2023 IDOE List of Program 08/01/2022 2022 IDOE List of Programs 06/21/2022 IDOE Program Reporting Guidance 03/23/2022 Data Exchange 2022 School Year Review and Next Steps: Video | Presentation 06/22/2022 Data Exchange Reporting Requirements and Resources 10/29/2020 Data Exchange Vendor Certification Status 07/01/2022 Data Exchange Bulk Upload Templates with Sample Data 04/24/2020 Data Exchange Implementation Schedule 04/21/2020 Data Validation Rules 04/04/2022 IDOE Descriptors and Types 08/03/2022 IDOE Ed-Fi ODS Swagger 04/21/2020 IDOE Data Exchange Vendor Certification Process 08/17/2020
- Data Exchange for Schools
Data Exchange for Schools
These documents are intended to help schools as they align their data and reporting practices with Data Exchange which will become the sole source of truth for data-related purposes in the 2021-22 school year. The IDOE anticipates retiring the STN Application Center in the 2022-23 school year.
These documents are designed for school administrators and personnel responsible for data submission to the state.
To support implementation, IDOE has published several documents to help schools prepare for their transition to the Data Exchange solution. Schools are highly encouraged to utilize these resources in advance of their implementation. Throughout the onboarding process additional training and materials will be provided.
School Onboarding Information
In the 2020-21 school year, all schools must certify select data components via Data
Exchange. Any school without an Indiana Ed-Fi certified SIS vendor, or any school
without a SIS system will need to submit the required data via a bulk upload feature utilizing templates provided by IDOE. As a next step for schools, IDOE recommends connecting with your SIS vendor to understand their certification plan.
Resource Last Updated Data Exchange Knowledge Hub 12/21/2021 Data Exchange Vendor Certification Status 07/01/2022 Getting Started with Data Exchange Training Video 06/26/2020 Slides for Getting Started with Data Exchange 06/26/2020 How to Obtain the Key and Secret for Your SIS 08/03/2022 Data Exchange Implementation Schedule 04/21/2020 Data Exchange Reporting Requirements and Resources 04/21/2020 Data Implementation System Use 04/21/2020 Data Implementation Map Release 04/21/2020 Data Validation Rules 03/23/2022 Ed-Fi Terminology Training Guide 04/21/2020 How to Prepare for Implementation 09/23/2020 Security Access: Setting Staff Types (Roles) 04/21/2020 School Administrator and Data Provider Experience Map 04/22/2020