In an effort to improve efficiency and collaboration within local education agencies (LEAs), IDOE took the opportunity to analyze current grant practices and brainstormed ways to make the process more streamlined. This process led IDOE to:
- Identify as many similarities as possible to reduce the number of responses required across the multiple grants
- Write a narrative question, whose answer would satisfy multiple federal requirements simultaneously
- Consolidate numerous processes (e.g. English learner plan, and naming an annual foster point-of-contact) into one place
- Shift this content to the front of the process, so that the actual grants will be more streamlined and easier to complete
- Encourage collaboration across multiple federal programs
Thus, the Pre-Application was created and implemented during the FY 2020 grant cycle.
The Pre-Application is the first step in applying for Titles I-A, II-A, III-A, IV-A, and Rural and Low Income Schools (RLIS) grants. The Pre-Application will open on Sunday, May 1, and will close on Friday, July 1. However, LEAs can work on this process earlier in the year so this portion of the grant (e.g., narrative components, goal setting, etc.) is completed while the LEAs are waiting on their allocation figures.
Once the Pre-Application is submitted, the LEA will be able to begin working on the respective grants. IDOE will review and approve the Pre-Application on an annual basis. Although LEAs will be able to complete the budget applications for Title I-A, II-A, III-A, IV-A, and RLIS grants while the Pre-Application is under review by the IDOE, the LEA will not be able to seek approval of the grant or reimbursement until the Pre-Application is approved.
Access to the Pre-Application, training videos, consultation forms, resource documents, and JotForm submission link are all included within the “Title Grants Pre-App” course within the Moodle portal.
Visit the Title Grants and Support page on Moodle here.