Close Menu

Visiting Teacher Permits

Visiting Teacher Permits

A visiting teacher license is a 3 year nonrenewable license. It is for a citizen of another country who is in or will be visiting the United States and whom is employed as a teacher at an Indiana school corporation. The applicant must hold the equivalent of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. The applicant must have completed one of the following curriculum requirements:

  • Elementary Education
  • Secondary Education
  • P-12 Education
  • Early Childhood Education
  • Middle School Education.

The applicant must have teaching or related professional experience. This permit does not apply to teachers licensed in another country and employed by an accredited Indiana school through a memorandum of understanding (MOU) between the Department of Education and ministries of education of other countries.

A visiting teacher license is based on one (1) of the following:

  • The content area or areas and school setting or settings listed on the license issued by another country.
  • The applicant's curriculum from evaluated transcripts or official transcripts.
  • A minimum proficiency level of Advanced Low on the Certified American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Writing Proficiency Test (WPT) and Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI).

Required documentation for application:

  1. A copy of a valid CPR card from IDOE approved provider. For more information and a list of approved providers go to CPR Heimlich Maneuver AED Certification web page.
  2. Suicide Prevention training certificate. For a link to resources go to Suicide Prevention Training web page.
  3. Official transcripts with the US equivalent of the bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
  4. An official "course-by-course" foreign credentials evaluation report, which translates your non-US coursework into US equivalents. This evaluation may be obtained from Educational Credential Evaluators, World Education Services, Trustforte Corporation or NACES members. Evaluations cannot be completed without this report.
  5. If coursework is from an out-of-state college/university, provide official transcripts that bear the sign and/or seal of the registrar, the degree and date conferred. Provide transcripts for ALL completed coursework at ALL institutions attended. Transcripts must be included with evaluation materials. Do NOT order transcripts to be sent directly to the Office of Educator Licensing and Development.
  6. Verification of Teaching Experience.

Instructions for applying in LVIS:

  1. Log into your LVIS account (https://license.doe.in.gov/).
  2. Click Apply for a new license
  3. Click Teacher
  4. Click Visiting Teacher Permit
  5. For Subject and/or Endorsement Areas:, type the area(s) that you are licensed to teach in your native country.
  6. Click Next.
  7. Click update in the second paragraph to update your employer information.
    1. Select the Indiana School Corporation where you are employed.
    2. Click Submit Employer. You will then see the corporation you selected. (After the application has been submitted and the fee paid, it will route to the school corporation for verification of employment.)
  8. Click Return to Application.
  9. Click Next.
  10. Answer the 3 questions. Provide additional information if requested.
  11. Click Next.
  12. Upload the required documentation.
  13. Click Next.
  14. Confirm your application and all information provided. Any missing materials will be listed in RED. You must correct missing materials before you will be able to move on.
  15. Click Submit Application.
  16. Click link to pay for all pending applications.
  17. Mark the box under the “Pay?
  18. Fill out all the Billing information.
  19. Click Review Summary.
  20. Click box under Refund Policy.
  21. Click Submit.