Language Translation
  Close Menu

Substitute Permits

Each school employer will determine its own screening, employment qualifications (if greater than the minimum standards noted below), and performance standards for its substitute teachers.

Substitute Permit Requirements

Individuals applying for Substitute Permits must:

  1. Hold a high school diploma or high school equivalency certificate;
  2. Be 18 years of age or older; and
  3. Meet the requirements set forth in the screening process of the school employer. (Applicants: Please contact the school employer for which you want to work for more information.)

Once these requirements are met, applicants should apply via the Indiana Department of Education's Licensing Verification and Information System (LVIS).

Application Process

  1. Each school employer will recommend individuals for Substitute Permits through the application process. The superintendent or his/her designee will verify the applicant's employment and application through LVIS. Each application for a Substitute Permit must be submitted and paid through LVIS.
  2. The Office of Educator Licensing will issue the Substitute Permit in the applicant's name and the school employer’s name. The applicant may print a copy of the permit by logging into the applicant’s LVIS account.
  3. The Substitute Permit is valid only for the requesting school employer unless the school employer has a reciprocity agreement for use of substitute teachers with another school employer.
  4. Substitute Permits are valid for three years. The validity period begins on the date the applicant pays for the permit application in LVIS.
  5. A Substitute Permit is not renewable. Once it expires, an applicant must apply for a new original Substitute Permit.
  6. The fee for a Substitute Permit is $15.00 + .70ยข processing fee.
  7. A license or permit that is valid on the first day of school in the school in which the license holder is employed is considered valid for the duration of the school year.

Step-by-Step Instructions: Click Here

For assistance with licensing, please click here
Click here for help.
or call us at 317-232-9010.