Tuesday, September 21, 2021
Deputy Director of Communications
INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) today congratulates seven Indiana schools for being honored as 2021 National Blue Ribbon Schools by the U.S. Department of Education.
“With this distinction, Indiana’s Blue Ribbon Schools are shining bright on the national stage,” said Dr. Katie Jenner, Indiana Secretary of Education. “Through challenging times, these schools are not admiring the problem -- they’re focused on student-centered solutions. I’m thrilled to congratulate each of these schools for earning this honor, all centered around preparing each student with the knowledge and skills necessary for lifelong success.”
Indiana’s 2021 National Blue Ribbon Schools are:
- Bartholomew County – Columbus Signature Academy Lincoln Campus, Bartholomew Consolidated School District
- Jefferson County – Deputy Elementary School, Madison Consolidated Schools
- Marion County – Grassy Creek Elementary School, MSD Warren Township School District
- Lake County – Lake Prairie Elementary School, Tri-Creek School Corporation
- St. Joseph County – Swanson Traditional School, South Bend Community School Corporation
- Hamilton County – Thorpe Creek Elementary School, Hamilton Southeastern Schools
- Brown County – Van Buren Elementary School, Brown County School Corporation
IDOE nominated each awarded school for consideration in the U.S. Department of Education’s “Exemplary Achievement Gap-Closing Schools” category, which honors the state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps for student groups, including racially and ethnically diverse, low income, English learner and special education students. After being nominated, the schools then completed an application detailing their curriculum, culture, leadership and engagement, which was evaluated by the U.S. Department of Education.
These Indiana schools are among 325 schools across the country to earn this distinction in 2021. Now in its 39th year, the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program has bestowed approximately 10,000 awards to more than 9,000 schools.