Emergency Management Training
8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday
except state-observed holidays
Indiana Dept. of Homeland Security
Indiana Government Center-South, Room E208
302 W. Washington St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2739
The Indiana Department of Homeland Security (IDHS) works to build a more resilient Indiana through high-quality training and educational opportunities and a robust certification program across multiple disciplines. IDHS is responsible for providing comprehensive emergency management training based on the needs of the state in the following areas:
- Mitigation: Preventing or lessening the effects of a hazard
- Preparedness: Planning, training and exercising
- Response: Responding to hazards to prevent further injury or damage
- Recovery: Restoring both short- and long-term community functions
Note: Not all events on the IDHS calendar are organized, hosted or sponsored by IDHS or other state agencies. Some events are included for informational purposes as events that the public or first responders may find beneficial.
EMA Training Information
- Acadis Portal
IDHS uses the Acadis Portal as the hub for scheduling training and maintaining certifications. It serves emergency managers, firefighters, law enforcement, emergency medical services, public works, public health, volunteer organizations, elected and appointed officials and others throughout the state with their training needs. The portal is updated periodically with courses that are available, so please check it for new offerings. Visit the Public Safety Identification (PSID) Information page for more information on Acadis and PSID numbers.
Need to Reactivate Your Acadis Account? Complete request form
- Professional Emergency Manager (PEM) Program
Professional Emergency Manager (PEM) Program
The Professional Emergency Manager (PEM) Program is Indiana’s program to help raise and maintain professional standards in emergency management and recognize individuals who have demonstrated basic competencies in the field. Interested individuals complete a series of courses, exercises and professional contributions, and they meet work experience requirements in the emergency management discipline or related public safety fields and submit an application to apply.
For more information regarding PEM requirements or application procedures, please see the documents below:
- Federal Consortium Course Catalog
Federal Consortium Course Catalog
- FEMA Region V Partners
FEMA Region V Partners
- New EMA Orientation Packet and Other Resources
- Search and Rescue Training
Following a disaster, search and rescue professionals can offer vital assistance in recovery efforts. In order to nurture and cultivate a strong search and rescue community within Indiana, the IDHS Search and Rescue Program takes a comprehensive approach by offering training programs in K-9 search, as well as rescue, search, technical rescue and search management.
- NIMS, ICS Courses
IDHS is the Indiana point of contact for National Incident Management System (NIMS) and Incident Command System (ICS) training provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
- NIMS provides a consistent nationwide template to enable all government, private-sector, and nongovernmental organizations to work together during domestic incidents.
- ICS is a standardized approach to incident management that is used for all kinds of incidents by all types of organizations and at all levels of government. It is applicable to small and large, complex incidents and can be used for planned events in addition to emergencies.
- Counter-Terrorism Training
IDHS is the Indiana point of contact for counter-terrorism training provided by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Training and Exercise Division (TED) and the National Domestic Preparedness Consortium (NDPC), a partnership of several nationally recognized organizations.