Hazardous Materials Emergency Preparedness Grant Program
About the Hazardous Materials Emergency Preparedness Grant
Hazardous Materials Emergency Preparedness (HMEP) grants are awarded to Local Emergency Planning Committees (LEPCs) and are used to develop, improve and implement emergency plans; train public sector hazardous materials emergency response employees to respond to accidents and incidents involving hazardous materials in transportation; determine flow patterns of hazardous materials within a state and between states and determine the need within a state for regional hazardous materials emergency response teams.
To ensure that the funds are allocated to support the most effective hazardous materials transportation emergency response training and planning programs, the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration's Office of Hazardous Materials Safety grants program team continually examines and reevaluates the grant program processes and priorities.
Application (Notice of Funding Opportunity)
- Apply for the Grant
The application period is closed. Want to stay updated? Sign up to receive emails when new grant information is available.
- FY2023 HMEP Notice of Funding Opportunity
- FY2022 HMEP Notice of Funding Opportunity
- FY2021 HMEP Notice of Funding Opportunity
- FY2020 HMEP Notice of Funding Opportunity
Need Help with IntelliGrants? Visit the IntelliGrants page.
- To apply for federal funding opportunities, a Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) number, as well as a current status in the System for Award Management (SAM) is required. It may take four weeks or more after submission for the registration to become active in SAM and an additional 24 hours for grants.gov to recognize the information. This can be done online at Grants.gov.
- Be aware that all entities renewing or updating their SAM registration at SAM.gov are required to submit an original signed, notarized letter confirming the authorized entity administrator associated with the Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) number before the registration is activated.
- Individuals that would like to request federal funding to attend a conference or other educational opportunity are required to fill out the conference attendee request form: Hazardous Materials Emergency Preparedness Grant Conference Attendee Request Form.