Occupant Load Requests
8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday
except state-observed holidays
Indiana Dept. of Homeland Security
Indiana Government Center-South, Room E208
302 W. Washington St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2739
Call us: 317-232-1407
Email us: email@example.com
Please allow 48 hours for a response, and do not leave multiple voicemails or send multiple emails.
Leave us feedback: Customer Satisfaction Survey
If a location does not have a local building or fire official to complete an occupant load for a structure and there is no previous architect/design professional occupant load listed or available, a request may be made to IDHS Code Enforcement for assistance.
When an occupant load is requested, Code Enforcement will also be providing a full inspection of the building to ensure all building and fire safety codes are in compliance.
Note: If you do not own or work for the business in question, or if you are attempting to file a complaint about a business, do not complete the Occupant Load Request form. Contact the Code Enforcement Section at 317-232-1407.
When Code Enforcement inspects a structure for occupant load, the guidelines below will be followed:
- A full building and fire inspection will be conducted at the same time of occupant load calculation.
- Any violations observed during the inspection shall be cited and issued on an Inspection Report Order.
- If an occupant load is found, by code, to require a sprinkler or fire alarm system that is not installed at the time of inspection, then a potential fire watch or closure will be issued on-site.
- An IDHS sign will be issued and posted to the location with the determined occupant load and date.
Denial of Occupant Load Requests
A request for occupant load inspection may be denied in the following situations:
- An occupant load is already posted and no significant remodel, structural changes or change of use have occurred without a design professional/plans submitted to IDHS Building Plan Review.
- An occupant load was provided by IDHS previously.
- An occupant load request for an older building, where the building codes are not kept on-hand, will be denied and referred to a design professional or code consultant.
- Requests for occupant loads and questions based on how to reconfigure space or change a space should be referred to a code consultant or design professional.