Audits Process Updated
EMS audits randomly occur upon renewal of EMS certifications and licensures. IDHS has implemented a more automated system for better tracking and efficiency in processing the audits. This includes auto-generated emails that provide a link for individuals to use to submit required information for the audit. Learn more about the changes
- Continuing Education Guidelines
- Continuing Education Signature Guidelines
- Continuing Education Within Certification Cycle
- Certifications Dishonesty Overview
- Indiana EMS Commission Levels of EMS Personnel Certification Quick Reference
- Application for Certification
Information on Indiana Certification and Training Standards can be found in IAC 836 Article 4.
If your Indiana certification has been expired for more than 4 months or you were unable to complete your continuing education prior to expiration, complete the Recertification Based on Previous Certification application.
You are only eligible to challenge the written and practical testing one time.
If you completed your in-service prior to expiration, and it has been less than 120 days since expiration, you can submit your continuing education/renewal form and $50.00 reapplication fee. Only check, money order or certain credit cards are accepted (no cash). For credit card payment use the Credit Card Form. Submit in person or by certified mail.
Applications, Curriculum, Testing and Continuing Education
Select the collapsible (drop-down) sections below to find the following EMS information:
- Applications and Curriculum for applications, renewals and other guidance, such as:
- Initial applications
- Renewal and continuing education reports
- Reciprocity applications and curriculum
- Exam report forms (skills sheets)
- Testing for information on how to register for testing, such as tests for:
- AEMTs and paramedics
- Primary instructors
- Online Continuing Education for websites that offer free online courses that can be used for continuing education hours
- Applications and Curriculum
- Online Continuing Education
The following list of websites offers free online courses to anyone who is interested. These courses can be utilized for Continuing Education Hours (CEUs). If you complete a course, please make sure that you print off a copy of the completion certificate to verify the number of CEUs and that you have successfully completed the training. These may be required if your certification is audited.
- Indiana Online Education
- Basic Emergency Medical Services Concepts for Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and Explosive (CBRNE) course (WMD for EMS)
- Columbia University Regional Learning Center (Health, Emergency Management)
- Energetic Materials Research and Testing Center (WMD)
- FEMA Independent Study Courses (ICS/Emergency Management)
- Michigan State University/Safe Response (Hazmat, ICS, Health, Radiation)
- Naval Postgraduate School (Terrorism, Technology)
- Nationwide SAR Initiative (Law Enforcement, Emergency Management)
- National Center for Biomedical Research and Training (Health, Agroterrorism, WMD)
- National Fire Academy (Fire)
- Readiness and Emergency Management for Schools (School Emergencies)
- Rural Domestic Preparedness Consortium (Terrorism, WMD, Port Security, Crisis Management, Event Planning)
- Texas Engineering Extension Service (WMD, Technology)(Fire, Law Enforcement, Search & Rescue, etc., have charges)
- United States Institute of Peace (Conflict Analysis, Negotiation and Conflict Management)