Language Translation
  Close Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What should I do if I removed a building from my property?

    If you have removed a structure from a specific parcel, the best practice is to notify the Assessor's Office. This notification, albeit in person, by phone, or by email will result in a physical review of the said parcel. If you obtained the required permit, we may or may not be informed in a timely manner; so it is in your best interest to inform us as soon as possible.

    It must also be noted that ANY destruction of a structure on YOUR property is YOUR responsibility to report. Fire Departments or Police are under NO obligation to report these matters and therefore, we would not be aware that a structure had been damaged by fire, etc. until you file an appeal based on the said damage. Failure to notify the Assessor's Office is not a justifiable reason for appeal.

    It must also be noted that this review will not only verify the removal of said structure but will also cause the review of the entire parcel to ensure that the data listed for the said parcel is correct.

    Any and all changes based on the damage and or destruction shall not be retroactive but rather will be effective on January 1, the following year, and will not affect the current assessment.

    Department / Board: Assessor

  • How is Personal Property different from Real Estate?

    Personal Property is movable – can be relocated. Real Estate includes the land and appurtenances to the land that are not Personal Property.

    Department / Board: Assessor

  • What are improvements on real estate?

    The word "Improvement" simply refers to any and all structures on the land, not considered personal property. It does not refer to any maintenance performed, remodel, additions, or removals.

    Examples include but are not limited to:

    • Dwellings
    • Detached Garages
    • Barns
    • Gazebos
    • Sheds (even if on sleds)
    • Grain Bins (Dryers, legs, and augers are considered Personal Property and are not part of the overall value of the Grain Bin)
    • Pools (Include Above-Ground and Inground models as well as decks and patios/aprons surrounding the pool)
    • Basketball / Tennis Courts
    • Decks, Patios
    • ANYTHING that sits on the ground is considered an improvement to the Land.

    Department / Board: Assessor

  • What am I being assessed on besides my house I live in?

    Your assessment is based on ALL structures and land associated with a specific parcel. Each parcel is associated with a unique ID or Parcel Number. Whatever is located within the confines of the deeded dimensions of said parcel, will be assessed to that parcel.

    Any structure or piece of equipment associated with or assessed as Personal Property is NOT included in a Real Estate Assessment

    Department / Board: Assessor

  • How do I search for a lien on a property?

    The Recorders staff is not permitted to give legal advice or to perform searches. However, if you visit the Recorders office, the staff will be happy to assist you in using the public terminals to conduct a search for liens and other information during regular business hours.

    Department / Board: Recorder

  • How is the amount of property tax I owe determined?

    Though it may seem to be a simple answer, it is not. The calculation of a particular parcel tax liability has many moving factors which include but are not limited to:

    • Assessed Value as of 1 January the year prior to taxes due
    • Local Budgets
    • Bonds or Levy's attached by the County and Local Fiscal Bodies
    • Tax Caps
    • Deductions, each applied according to the qualifications of the taxpayer
    • Tax Rates set forth by the State of Indiana are based on the Budgetary requirements of each taxing unit

    The State of Indiana in conjunction with the Indiana Business Research Center has created a calculator for taxpayer use. This calculator can be found here. It must be noted that these tools will allow the taxpayer to enter their property's assessed value and possible deductions to see a range of tax bill estimates.

    **The estimates provided by these tools are projections only and should not be taken as a statement of true tax liability.

    Department / Board: Assessor

  • I had a document recorded and I lost it...can I get a copy?

    Yes! The cost for a copy is $1.00 per page ($5.00 for pages larger than 11 x 17). You may pick up your copy in the Recorder's Office or send us a self-addressed stamped envelope with your payment to return the document to you.

    Department / Board: Recorder

  • Can I check the real estate sales for the past couple years?

    Yes, the sales disclosures for the past 5 years are available in the Assessor’s office. In addition, sales data is also available on the Randolph County GIS System.

    Department / Board: Assessor

  • Can I search for recorded documents online?

    For some documents, yes. Any document recorded in our office from mid-1993 onward can be searched on DoxPop ( and images can be previewed from mid-2003 onward. DoxPop provides 24/7 access to these records and patrons will have the ability to preview, purchase and print available documents.

    Department / Board: Recorder

  • How do I appeal my assessment?

    Visit the Assessment Appeals Process service page for detailed information.

    Department / Board: Assessor

  • What forms of payment does the Recorder's Office accept?

    We accept: cash, check (including personal), money order, and credit card (Visa, Discover, and MasterCard). There is an additional $3.50 processing fee for any credit card transaction.

    Department / Board: Recorder

  • When is personal property assessed during the year?

    Personal property values are assessed on January 1 of every year and are self-reported by property owners to assessors using prescribed state forms. The completed personal property return can be submitted beginning January 1 however, must be filed, or post-marked, with the assessor no later than May 15.

    Metered mail will not be accepted as a postmark verification.

    For Personal Property being assessed Prior to December 31, 2019, Taxpayers with less than $20,000 in total acquisition costs for Business Personal Property is required to file an annual personal property return stating that the taxpayer’s business personal property is exempt from taxation for the applicable assessment date. For Personal Property being assessed After December 31, 2021, Taxpayers with less than $80,000 in acquisition costs for Business Personal Property, in the county, are required to file an annual personal property return stating that the taxpayer’s business personal property is exempt from taxation for the applicable assessment date.

    Failure to file the annual forms will result in late fees. The $80,000 is not a deduction to lower your tax liability. If you have acquisition costs that exceed either limit, your filings will remain as normal

    If you have any questions or clarification if you qualify, please contact the Assessor's Office for details at 765-584-2427

    Department / Board: Assessor

  • How will I get my document back after it has been recorded?

    There are two ways to receive your document after it has been recorded:

    1. Bring us a self-addressed, stamped envelope for your document to be returned.
    2. Come to the Recorder's Office to retrieve the document at the time specified by our staff.

    *Some documents are retained by the Recorder, please ask our staff if you have any questions.

    Department / Board: Recorder

  • What is personal property?

    Any tangible property that is not real estate.

    Department / Board: Assessor

  • Do I need any permits for a storage shed?

    An ILP (Improvement Location Permit) is required ANY time you add square footage to your property in the form of a new home, manufactured home, home addition, any detached structure, pool, patio, pond, or deck.

    An ILP is required for all storage sheds and appropriate setbacks for must be met. No matter what kind of foundation your shed has, or if it is built on-site or pre-built, you will need a location permit to determine the setbacks on your property. If your shed is movable, unless it is moving from your location within 6 months, you still must have an ILP. If you have any doubts or questions, please contact the office at 765-584-8610 before you purchase a shed.

    Department / Board: Area Planning & Zoning

  • What does the new Sign Code Amendment say?

    Please go to "Forms" to read the new Sign Code Amendment.

    Department / Board: Area Planning & Zoning

  • Where do I begin if I'd like to build a Wedding/Party Venue is the county?

    Wedding and Party Venues (barns) are very popular right now, especially in a private, picturesque setting out in the country. A business you can run--and see--from your home is the ideal way to make extra money on your terms. However, they are a great deal of work and expense to get started. These are considered commercial buildings, and there are very strict guidelines.

    If you are planning on over 100 guests in your building, Indiana Code says that you must have a Fire Protection System. (Sprinkler) If you are not on city water that system is very expensive. You must have a commercial well with enough PSI to power the pumper tank.

    If you are not on city sewage, you will need to put in a commercial septic system, and the plans must be drawn up by a professional and approved by the Indiana Department of Health.

    Regardless of the capacity of your building, all buildings for public use must have detailed plans, drawn by an architect, and submitted to the state for inspection and approval. The approval is called a State Release.

    You will be covering a lot of ground between your building, your lane, and your parking lot, and if it is over 20,000 square feet you will need a stormwater drainage plan. This plan must be drawn up by a professional and submitted to the County Surveyor for approval by the Drainage Board.

    All these approvals must be secured before you can obtain your local building permit.

    In the event of a power outage, a commercial generator might be in order to make sure that the weather doesn't spoil the day.

    We'd be happy to meet with you and explain how to apply for Conditional Use which is definitely the first step in most cases, but we would also like to make sure that you understand the process you must go through when building a commercial building.

    Department / Board: Area Planning & Zoning

  • Do I need a permit for an above ground, (or temporary swimming pool)?

    You must obtain an ILP for an above-ground swimming pool if the width is 18 feet or larger and the depth is at least 3 feet.*

    Your pool shall not be located closer than 5' to any property line, is not permitted in required front yards, and if located in any R-Zone must be fenced.

    *Reference: Article II section 2.13 as well as article XIII definitions of the Unified Zoning Ordinance.

    Department / Board: Area Planning & Zoning

  • Do I need a permit for an in-ground swimming pool?

    Yes - an in-ground pool requires a permit from Area Planning.

    Department / Board: Area Planning & Zoning

  • Do I need a permit for a driveway?

    You do not need a permit for a driveway on your property.

    Department / Board: Area Planning & Zoning

  • Do I need a permit for a fence?

    It is not necessary to obtain an ILP to build a fence. However, you are required to abide by regulations stated in the Unified Zoning Ordinance.

    Fences may be built on the property line. The county GIS map will give you a good indication of the location of your property lines. A survey should be done to get a precise location of property lines.

    Reference: Article II of the Unified Zoning Ordinance section 2.02.

    Department / Board: Area Planning & Zoning

  • Do I need a permit for a mobile home?

    It is necessary to file for an Improvement Location Permit to set a mobile home on a property. Also if placing a Mobile Home on a residentially zoned piece of property, that is not in a licensed Mobile Home Park, you are required to receive Special Exception approval from the Board of Zoning Appeals.

    Department / Board: Area Planning & Zoning

  • What's the application procedure for a new parcel split?

    Exempt Subdivision (Parcel Split) Application Procedure
    Area Planning Department

    Bring the Parcel Spit Information Form (one per split) filled out with a survey to the Area Planning Office.

    The following materials must be included in surveys for split approval:
    1. Legal description
    2. Names and addresses of the owner, subdivider, consulting engineer, land surveyor, or planning firm who prepared the plan.
    3. Legend and notes, including the scale, north arrow, and date.
    4. County parcel tax identification number(s).
    5. Tract boundary lines showing dimensions, bearings, angles, and references to section, township, and range lines or corners closing with a tolerance as given in “Rule 12” of the Indiana Administrative Code.
    6. Layouts of lots showing dimensions and numbers and square footage or acreage of each lot excluding areas within right-of-ways, easements, and floodplains.
    7. Showing the closest building to the newly created line with setback dimensions unless the setback is greater than fifty (50) feet.
    8. Existing streets and right-of-ways on and adjoining the site of the proposed subdivision showing the names, roadway widths, types, and widths of pavements.
    9. Existing and proposed easements, including the location, width, and purpose of such easements must be shown on the plat.
    10. Location of all other natural features.
    11. Boundary lines or elevations for approximate limits of floodway fringe areas on each lot as scaled from the floodplain district maps and regulations of the Zoning Ordinance.
    12. Location, type, material, and size of all monuments and markers.
    13. The surveyor’s certificate must be located on the plat (survey).

    Note: Subdivision Administrator approval must be recorded with all deeds, contracts, and surveys. Complete Applications will be reviewed within 2 business days and can then be picked up at the office or returned to the applicant by mail if return postage and packaging are provided. The reviewed survey will be stamped and have a Split Approval sheet attached. (see New Parcel Split Procedure for more information)

    Department / Board: Area Planning & Zoning

  • How do I change the zoning of a property?

    Refer to the Zoning Change Requests page of this site for information on this topic.

    Department / Board: Area Planning & Zoning

  • How are the different zoning classifications defined?

    Article I Table 1.01.1 of the Unified Zoning Ordinance.

    Zoning District Classifications and Symbols

    • A-I Agricultural, Intensive
    • A-L Agricultural, Limited
    • A-R Residential, Low Density
    • R-1 Residential, Medium Density
    • R-2 Residential, High Density, Urban
    • R-3 Residential, High Density
    • C-1 Commercial, Neighborhood
    • C-2 Commercial, Community
    • C-3 Commercial, Regional
    • M-1 Industrial, Light
    • M-2 Industrial, General
    • FW Floodway
    • FF Floodway Fringe
    • PD1 Planned Development

    Department / Board: Area Planning & Zoning

  • How many acres are needed to build a new home?

    For each zoning area, please refer to the Unified Zoning Ordinance and the Subdivision Control Ordinance.

    In Agricultural Limited and Agricultural Intensive, it is required you have at least two buildable acres for a new home or a mobile home.

    Other buildable lot sizes apply within city or town limits depending on the zoning district.

    The new Subdivision Control Ordinance defines a buildable lot as the area outside of right-of-ways, easements, and the flood plain. If there is a city sewer available then the flood plain can be included in the buildable acres.

    Department / Board:Area Planning & Zoning

  • How many acres are required to have livestock on my property?

    The answer to this question varies according to the zoning of the property. Please consult either a representative of the Area Planning Department or carefully read the new requirements in the Unified Zoning Ordinance as things have changed.

    In the Agricultural Intensive District, you still must have 40 acres for livestock, however, areas for much smaller amounts of animals have changed. More about this will follow soon.

    Department / Board: Area Planning & Zoning

  • How do I determine if it is necessary to obtain an ILP?

    You are required to obtain an ILP if adding square footage to your property, when building a new structure, adding on to an existing structure, changing the location of a structure on a property, or adding a pond or swimming pool.

    Please feel free to call the Area Planning Office if you have any questions.

    Reference: Unified Zoning Ordinance Article II.

    Department / Board: Area Planning & Zoning

  • What is an ILP?

    An Improvement Location Permit (ILP) is written authorization from the Area Planning Commission approving the location of construction on a property*.

    When you come in for your building permit, you must first fill out an application for an ILP. It will be determined by your zoning what the setbacks will be, and that the land you wish to build on is yours and suitable for building. Before this permit may be issued the Surveyor will look over the building site and determine if there are any drainage issues with the property,

    Some of the things that the Area Planning Commission will be checking for are:

    • Ownership
    • Zoning
    • Front, side, and rear setbacks
    • Flood plain
    • Easements
    • Right of way

    It is much easier an far cheaper to get this worked out before you build, and it usually only takes a few minutes to know that you are building in a suitable location.

    *Reference: Unified Zoning Ordinance Article XIII, Definitions.

    Department / Board: Area Planning & Zoning

  • What is the minimum square footage required for a new home?

    A minimum ground floor living area of 950 square feet shall be provided for each one-story residence and 600 square feet for each residence of two or more stories constructed within an Agricultural Limited and Agricultural Intensive District. In the case of residences with two or more stories, the total finished living area of all floors shall equal no less than 950 square feet.

    For All "R" refer to 4.06, Table 4.06.1 in the Unified Zoning Ordinance.

    All single-family homes in Randolph County must be at least 950 square feet in size.

    Department / Board: Area Planning & Zoning

  • What is the cost of an ILP?

    The cost of an ILP is based on the improvement as well as the zoning district of the property. Check with Area Planning for the current fee involved.

    Reference: Article X, section 10.06.6 of the Unified Zoning Ordinance.

    Department / Board: Area Planning & Zoning

  • What information do I need to apply for an ILP?

    In order to apply for an ILP, it is necessary to know the dimensions of the structure being placed, added on or moved on a property. You need to know the cost of the project and who is performing the work if it is not the homeowner. You will need to know the exact location of your structure from all sides of your property.

    Area Planning will provide an Aerial photograph of your property to use as your site plan, and have you draw where the new building is going.

    For a new home on a septic system, you must provide your septic approval when applying for an ILP. For a new home on City Sewage and Water, you must provide your sewer and water tap.

    Before an ILP will be issued all contractors working at your home must be registered with the county. Forms and directions for this are located in the Building Commission Department on this website. The homeowner may perform any work on his own home without being registered.

    Department / Board: Area Planning & Zoning

  • What happens if I choose not to obtain an ILP?

    If you choose not to apply for an ILP you may be found guilty of maintaining a common nuisance and fined no less than $10 per day and no more than $300 per day as long as a violation occurs.

    Area Planning Commission may also initiate a suit for mandatory injunction directing the removal of any building or structure erected in violation of the provisions of the Zoning Ordinance.

    Reference: Article X section 10.06.3 and 10.06.4 of the Unified Zoning Ordinance

    Department / Board: Area Planning & Zoning

  • What is the right-of-way and how do I find it?

    The right-of-way is the entire width of a street, road, or alley that goes beyond the paved or graveled areas. There is no "standard" right-of-way. The right-of-way can be seen on the county GIS map by going to the GIS website and selecting "layers" on the top bar, then selecting "Right Of Way" in the drop-down menu.

    Contact Area Planning & Zoning for assistance with this determination.

    Department / Board: Area Planning & Zoning

  • How do you determine the value of my house?

    In valuing a structure the Assessor takes into consideration the outside measurements by doing a physical site review, the type of construction, the year built any modifications to the structure and the overall condition.

    After all, data is gathered, the Assessor applies the State mandated Cost Tables, verifies the effective year, and applies applicable depreciation. This results in the Replacement Cost of New Value. That value is then adjusted based on the Market Trend, by neighborhood, established based on the sale of properties in the neighborhood compared to the type of structure being assessed. This means if you have a residential structure, it is compared to sold residential structures in your neighborhood, not commercial and vice versus

    The land is valued separately and takes into consideration such things as location, use, and home site value as well as road and water frontage and any Right-of-Way associated with the land..

    The Assessor's Office does consider the actual cost IF INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE! Supplying invoices of all materials, and quotes on construction/land prep are all helpful in ensuring we have applied the correct cost. If you claim self-built, you will be required to provide a certified letter stating the hours worked on the project including the number of all those who helped in the construction.

    This data is then sent to the Department of Local Government and Finance for review. Once the State approves the values, it is then passed onto the Auditor for taxation purposes.

    Department / Board: Assessor

  • What are the rules and requirements for a fence?

    A fence may be placed directly on the property line. The county GIS map can give an indication of where your property lines are. A survey should be done for a precise location of a boundary fence to prevent disputes. Please be sure to keep the "clear sight triangle" on corner lots, alleys, and next driveways. No fence is allowed to be placed on an easement of record or in the right of way. If you help with any of this please contact the Area Planning Office.

    A fence in the back of the home may be as tall as 6'. A fence in front of the home may be as tall as 4'. To determine "front" and "back", draw a line perpendicular to the road at the closest point of the home to the road. Anything in front of that line is considered front, anything behind that line is considered back.

    Department / Board: Area Planning & Zoning

  • What is the maximum height for a fence?

    From the front line of a home to the rear property line, a fence can be no higher than six feet without applying for a variance before the Board of Zoning Appeals.

    From the front line of the home to the street right of way, a fence may be no higher than four feet.

    Department / Board: Area Planning & Zoning

  • What are the set back requirements for a new home?

    Setback requirements vary according to location and zoning districts. Please refer to the Unified Zoning Ordinance section that refers to the area where you have chosen to build.

    Department / Board: Area Planning & Zoning

  • Is there any way I can reduce my property taxes?

    There are a number of exemptions and deductions available to qualifying taxpayers. The County Auditor can provide you with information and assist you in determining whether or not you qualify.

    Another way to reduce your taxes is to ensure your assessed value of the property is correct. Learn about the assessments and appeal procedures by contacting the Assessor's Office at 765-584-2427.

    Department / Board: Auditor

  • Do I have all the property tax exemptions I qualify for?

    Exemptions are filed in the Auditor’s Office. You can find information concerning exemptions here or by calling the Auditor's office at 765-584-6700.

    Department / Board: Auditor

  • I need to change or add a name on my property tax bill, what do I need to do?

    The name on a real estate tax bill is the name of the deed holder. You need to contact the Auditor’s office to learn about the steps you must follow to change a deed. For changes of the name on personal property or businesses you will need to contact the Assessors office.

    Department / Board: Auditor

  • What do I do if the judgment that I have on someone has been paid?

    Once you have received full payment of your judgment, you will be required to release the judgment. This is accomplished by filing a release of judgment with the clerk of the court.

    Department / Board: Clerk

  • How do I collect the money for the judgment that I was awarded?

    Collecting the judgment is your responsibility. The length of time it will take to collect will depend upon both your diligence and the debtor’s ability to pay. Filing a Proceedings Supplemental is the first step. These forms are available in the Clerk’s Office.

    Department / Board: Clerk

  • How much does it cost to file a Small Claim?

    As of July 1, 2017 the cost is $125.00 to file against one defendant and $10 for each additional defendant to file a Small Claim.

    Department / Board: Clerk

  • How do I obtain a protective order?

    Protective orders are cost-free to anyone who is a victim of domestic or family violence, stalking or a sex offense. Because this is a civil proceeding, the Prosecutor's Office is not involved in the issuance of such orders. Rather, a person must go to Randolph County Clerk's office, where he or she will fill out the paperwork to be review and ruled on by a judge.

    You can find the paperwork HERE. You will need to print and fill out a Petition (PO-0100) for yourself or a Petition on behalf of a Child (PO-0101) if filing on behalf of your child. You will also need to fill out a Confidential.

    WHEN FILLING OUT THE PAPERWORK: You are the Petitioner and the person it's against is the Respondent. If you can answer #1 and #2 on the Petition you qualify for a Protective Order.

    For the judge to approve a protective order, the petitioner must allege that the respondent has attempted to cause, threatened to cause or is causing physical harm to the petitioner, or that the respondent is actually placing the petitioner in fear of physical harm. If you have filed a police report regarding an incident that has happened it helps the court to make a ruling if you can obtain a copy of the police report that you filed.

    Department / Board: Clerk

  • How do I make a child support payment?

    You can mail your child support payment in the form of check or money order to Randolph County Clerk's Office, PO Box 230, Winchester IN 47394. Please write your cause number and "Child Support" on the memo line of you check or money order.

    You may also come in to our office to make a payment in person. We will accept cash, check or money order.

    If you would like to make a payment online you can visit the Child Support Bill Pay site to make a payment. Do NOT wait until the last minute! When making your first payment online, you may need to call or our office to make sure your information is in our computer properly. If we need to update your information (SSN, DOB, etc.) then it will take 24 hours to take effect and you will not be able to make your first payment that day.

    YOU MUST HAVE YOUR CASE # IN ORDER TO MAKE A PAYMENT ONLINE! Call the Clerk's Office at 765-584-7407 to check on this information.

    Department / Board: Clerk

  • How many garnishments can be taken out of my pay at once?

    Only one garnishment can be applied at one time; garnishment orders are paid in the order that they are received by the employer.

    Department / Board: Clerk

  • Do you accept payment with a credit card or ATM card for court fines and costs?

    Yes! (EXCEPT WHEN PAYING CHILD SUPPORT) There is a $3.95 or 3.95% charge to use this service when paying over the phone. You can also pay online by using the PayGOV System

    YOU MUST INCLUDE YOUR CAUSE # to make sure that you're payment is applied to the correct case.

    The Clerk's Office still accepts cash, money orders and cashier's checks. WE CANNOT ACCEPT PERSONAL CHECKS FOR ANY TYPE OF CASE.


    If you need to pay your child support online use the State of Indiana Child Support Payment Service.

    Department / Board: Clerk

  • If I live out of state and need a certified copy of a birth or death record, how can I obtain one?

    On this website there are applications that you can print out and fill out then mail to the Health Department. The application is very self explanatory and tells you everything you need to do.

    Department / Board: Health Department

  • How old does a child have to be to file a paternity affidavit with the health department?

    You are able to file a PA until the child is 18 years of age.

    Department / Board: Health Department

  • What do I need to bring with me to obtain a birth or death record?

    A driver's license or state ID.

    Department / Board: Health Department

  • How much does a birth certificate cost?

    A Certified Birth Certificate is $10.00 per certificate

    Department / Board: Health Department

  • How much does a death certificate cost?

    A Certified Death Certificate is $13.00 per certificate.

    Department / Board: Health Department

  • What is SARA Title III?

    The federal Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act (SARA) became law in 1986. Title III of these SARA provisions is also known as the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA). SARA Title III requires states to:

    Promote outreach for developing local emergency preparedness programs to respond to chemical releases.
    Receive reports from the regulated community.
    Organize, analyze and disseminate the resulting information on hazardous chemicals to local governments and the public.
    Specifically, this has required the establishment of state emergency response commissions and local emergency planning committees.

    The nationwide regulated community of manufacturers and non-manufacturers of hazardous chemicals must report concerning their emergency chemical releases; their Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS); their facility hazardous chemical inventories (Tier I and Tier II reports); and their toxic chemical releases to the air, land or water (Toxics Release Inventory).

    Because of this activity, businesses have reassessed their chemical inventories and their manufacturing processes. In addition, more businesses are working cooperatively with local governments to plan for and try to prevent an accidental chemical release.

    Businesses are also pursuing waste minimization and pollution prevention programs and realizing monetary savings.

    Department / Board: Homeland Security

  • Regarding obtaining a protective order, what if a divorce is involved?

    If a divorce is pending, the application for the protective order should be applied for by the petitioner, and evaluated by the judge, in the court in which the divorce is pending.

    Department / Board: Prosecutor

  • The non-custodial parent of my child(ren) works for cash and has never paid child support. How do I get him to pay?

    It is difficult to track down and enforce against such an irresponsible parent. However, it is not impossible. We use all means possible to get that person into court on a contempt citation. The courts can punish a payor for contempt in various ways, including incarceration. When punishments are ordered, we often see the payor change his attitude. They may even start taking a greater interest in their child(ren) when they accept the responsibility for assisting with their support.

    Department / Board: Prosecutor

  • What happens if the protective order is violated?

    If an individual violates the protective order, the person who is protected by the order may file for contempt of court (civil proceeding), or seek the filing of criminal charges ranging from Invasion of Privacy to major felony charges, depending on the severity of the offense.

    Department / Board: Prosecutor

  • What are the limitations of protective orders?

    The most recent studies indicate that filing for protective orders actually decreases violence in the overwhelming majority of cases. Although protective orders are extremely helpful in curbing many forms of violence and preliminary stalking behavior, they are not bulletproof shields. Therefore, it is EXTREMELY important that when obtaining a protective order, that a petitioner seek the advice of an advocate regarding safety planning and other resources within the community that will be able to provide assistance, just in case.

    Department / Board: Prosecutor

  • Do I have to let the non-custodian of my child(ren) have visitation when child support is never paid?

    Yes, visitation is an entirely different issue than child support. A non-custodial parent can file a contempt citation for refusal of the custodian to permit or arrange visitation, just like a custodial parent can file a contempt citation for non-payment of child support. If you have a good reason for not wanting visitation to occur, you should talk to a private attorney about filing a motion to modify the visitation order.

    Department / Board: Prosecutor

  • How long does the protective order remain in effect?

    It depends. The duration period of a protective order is usually two years. However, the judge has the discretion to issue a protective order for as little time or as much time as he or she determines is appropriate. The petitioner can renew the protective order near the time that the order is scheduled to expire. Please note there is a one-month grace period to renew and if more time than this passes the petitioner will have to start the entire application process over again. A protective order may only be renewed one time. After the one renewal, the petitioner may reapply for a new protective order.

    Department / Board: Prosecutor

  • What can I do if I want to stop using IV-D services?

    You can call or stop by the office and sign a document that will be sent to the State Child Support Bureau. The Prosecutor's Office will then withdraw from your case as an attorney of record. At that time all IV-D services stop. If you need future enforcement of your child support order, you will have to use a private attorney, or reapply for IV-D services.

    Department / Board: Prosecutor

  • May I request additions to the protective order?

    Upon request, the judge may make additions to a protective order. Depending upon the circumstances involved, the judge may stipulate any of the following:

    Eviction of the respondent from a residence shared by the petitioner. Unless the protective order specifically calls for an eviction, it is not an eviction notice. If both are listed on a lease or mortgage, the respondent cannot be evicted until the permanent protective order hearing.

    An order may be issued for the Sheriff's Department to accompany the petitioner to the shared residence to collect emergency belongings.

    An order may be issued for the respondent to pay child support or maintenance payments to the petitioner if the petitioner and respondent are married and have not filed for divorce.

    The petitioner, respondent or both may be required to attend counseling, including domestic violence education.

    Department / Board: Prosecutor

  • How long does it take for my child support to start coming?

    There is no specific time frame within which the IV-D office will be successful in collecting child support for you. It depends on the circumstances of the non-custodial parent and the information that you are able to provide for the office. If you know of an employer, and there is an existing child support order, it can be a fairly quick process. If you have very little information about the non-custodial parent, we may not be able to locate or enforce your order. We need as much information as possible, including address, social security number, and identifiers, such as height, weight, hair color, eye color, date of birth, and picture (if possible). Also, if the non-custodian has other children, we need to know their approximate ages and whether or not there is a child support order for those children.

    Department / Board: Prosecutor

  • Are there age requirements for Protective Orders?

    Anyone may request a protective order if they have been physically hurt or threatened. A parent or guardian must file on behalf of anyone under 18 years of age as long as he or she lives in the same household. Under certain circumstances a protective order may be issued against a juvenile. There are no hard and fast rules regarding protective orders against juveniles and it will be up to a judge to decide if one is needed.

    Department / Board: Prosecutor

  • Why do you suggest I get a protective order?

    Protective orders enable law enforcement agencies to intervene at the earliest indications of threatening, harassing or otherwise violent behavior occurs. Unfortunately, isolated, threatening acts, such as walking in front of an ex-spouse's home at three o'clock in the morning, dressed in black and carrying a knife, or walking up to an ex-girlfriend at her job and stating an intent to kill her, are not offenses which individually constitute crimes in the State of Indiana. Therefore, absent a protective order, if someone were to report such conduct to the police, no legal recourse would be available. However, were such threatening acts to occur in the face of an active protective order prohibiting all contact, abuse and harassment, then law enforcement officers would be able to make an arrest.

    Department / Board: Prosecutor

  • How can I start using the Prosecutor's Office to get my child support?

    Any custodial parent who is receiving TANF benefits (formerly AFDC payments) from the State of Indiana has assigned their child support rights to the State of Indiana, and must cooperate in trying to establish, enforce or modify a child support order for their children. The child support payments in these cases reimburses the State for benefits received by the children. The parent will receive letters and notifications from the child support division concerning their case, and may have to make an appointment to discuss their case. When the custodial parent is no longer receiving TANF benefits, the child support amount for current child support will be directed to him/her.

    Department / Board: Prosecutor

  • Why didn't I get a notice that my property taxes were delinquent?

    Tax statements and payment coupons are mailed once per year in the spring. That bill has two payment coupons to make a payment in May and November. Notices are not sent when taxes are delinquent. Delinquent amounts will be shown on the next payment coupon. If property is eligible for tax sale, notices are sent prior to property being listed on tax sale list.

    Department / Board: Treasurer

  • What happens if I miss a property tax payment?

    A penalty of 5% of the unpaid balance will be added if you have no other delinquencies on that parcel and the taxes are paid within 30 days of the due date. After 30 days the penalty amount is 10% of the unpaid balance.

    Department / Board: Treasurer

  • Do you accept postmarks for property tax payments?

    Yes, we consider a payment "on time" if the envelope is postmarked on or before the due date. Please be aware of postal deadlines and specific procedures when mailing your property tax bill. We use the postmark as printed on the envelope when determining if a payment is on time. (Please note: Postmarks are valid for regular tax payments only and do not apply to properties going to tax sale.)

    Department / Board: Treasurer

  • How do tax sales work?

    SRI Inc. handles both tax sales and commissioner's sales for Randolph County. Visit the SRI Tax Sale FAQs for more information.

    Department / Board: Treasurer

  • How are property taxes billed?

    Based on the January 1st ownership year, taxes are due and payable the following year in two installments. Tax bills are mailed once a year; both the 1st and 2nd installment payment coupons are included. Due dates are on each installment statement. Taxes not paid on or before the due date are subject to a penalty.

    Department / Board: Treasurer

  • What needs to be done to obtain a mobile home title transfer or moving permit?

    If possible you should bring the mobile home title to the Treasurer’s office to obtain a permit. If no title is available we would need to prepare a letter stating all taxes were paid for three consecutive years for the license branch. If you are moving the mobile home you will need to provide the new location address. We also need the name of the current mobile home owner to verify the taxes have been paid. To obtain a title transfer and/or moving permit you must have the full years taxes paid. If it is after January 15th assessment date you must pay an estimated tax for that year. Permits are good for 90 days.

    Department / Board: Treasurer

  • I never received my property tax bill, what do I do?

    You should contact the Treasurers office at 765.584.0704. We will verify your mailing address and mail a new bill out to you. Failure to receive a tax statement by mail does not relieve the taxpayer of the responsibility for payment and penalties when delinquent.

    Department / Board: Treasurer

  • I need to change my mailing address for my property tax bills, what do I do?

    Mailing address changes are handled in the Treasurer’s office and the taxpayer should notify us. The tax statement will continue to go to your former address unless our office is notified by you or the Post office returns your mail to us. You can call our office at 765-584-0704 or email at

    Department / Board: Treasurer

  • How do I get a receipt for my property tax payment?

    When making your payment in person, we will print a receipt out for you. When mailing your payment we will return a receipt if you send a stamped self-addressed envelope, otherwise your check will serve as your receipt.

    Department / Board: Treasurer

  • Why does the previous owner's name show up on my property tax bill?

    If you purchase a property after the January 1st assessment date, then the previous owners name will appear on the bill. The county is to show who the owner of record was as of January 1st. You should expect the former owners name to be deleted the next year.

    Department / Board: Treasurer

  • How can I pay my property tax bill?

    You can pay your bill by mail, or in person at the Treasurer's office. Office address 100 S Main Street, Room 103, Winchester, IN 47394. Payments can also be made at Old National Bank in Winchester. Pay online with a credit card or pay by phone using a credit card. For more detailed information visit the Pay Your Property Taxes page.

    Department / Board: Treasurer

  • Why do I have property taxes?

    We are accustomed to the services provided by our local community. Schools, police , fire protection, libraries and roads are only a few of the amenities property taxes make possible. Without property taxes, we couldn’t support the above services.

    Department / Board: Treasurer

  • When does my property go to the tax sale?

    All real estate parcels that have a balance due from spring of the prior year or before are eligible for the tax sale. Normally, tax sale notices are sent out in July if our county is collecting in May and November. Upon certifying the tax amounts to the Auditor there is a $105.00 tax sale fee added. You would have from July until the day of sale to pay the back taxes. If your property does sell at the tax sale, you can still redeem the property but you will also have to pay tax sale fees and daily accruing interest (currently 10%).

    Department / Board: Treasurer

  • Will I automatically receive my deed when my mortgage is released?

    No. The Recorders office does not keep original documents (outside of bonds and surveys), only copies. Your original deed was returned to the presenter after it was recorded. We can provide you with a copy of your deed for $1.00 per page upon request.

    Department / Board: Recorder

  • How can I find out the current road conditions around the State?

    You can find the current road conditions and status of any Indiana or Federal highway by going to this link:,roadReports. From this link, you can enlarge the state map and click on various icons to find out the status of any Indiana highway and alternative routes.

    Department / Board: Homeland Security

  • I need to record a document that contains a I need to do anything before I submit for recording?

    Yes, as of July 1, 2017, any document submitted for recording that contains a split must be submitted to the Randolph County Area Planning Office for certification. You can reach their office at 765-584-8610 for further information on how to complete this process.

    Department / Board: Recorder

  • What is Randolph County's current travel status and how is it determined?

    Randolph County's current travel status can be found at the following link: The county travel status is changed by the order of the Board of Commissioners, based upon the recommendation of status change by the Randolph County Sheriff, the Randolph County Highway Director, and the Randolph County Homeland Security and Emergency Management Director.

    The status change is done with the entire county community in mind, even though conditions in one portion of the county may be different than another portion of the county. The safety of the public and the emergency services personnel are utmost in our mind. Please do your best to follow the travel status and cooperate with emergency service personnel.

    Should a travel warning be issued by the county, essentially declaring a weather emergency, persons are directed not to travel. The travel is restricted to emergency personnel only. Additional restrictions can be declared. With this said please understand the following:

    • The travel statuses are for unincorporated portions of the county (meaning rural county roadways). They do not and cannot be applied to state or federal highways.
    • Cities and towns may chose to follow or ignore the travel status. The choice is up to the Mayor's and Town Council President's.
    • If your place of employment chooses not to follow the travel warning and orders employees to work, then you should report to work. The ordinance does not have the authority to regulate commerce and those businesses that chose to stay open during severe weather.
    • We work closely with the schools and notify the superintendents as travel statuses as they are changed. However, the decision for the schools to remain open or closed falls solely on the superintendent.

    Department / Board: Homeland Security

  • What is the Senate Enrolled Act No. 393, and how does it affect my building permit?

    A new law requires contractors to disclose the use of "advanced structural components" and fill out the form on the back of the building permit. This is basically I-Joists and trusses with less than a 1-hour fire resistance (ASTM Standard E119) Building permits will not be issued without this form filled out as of July 1, 2018.

    NEW LAW:

    IC 22-11-21 IS is added to the Indiana Code as a new chapter to read as follows, effective July 1, 2018.

    Chapter 21.Firefighter Safety Notification

    Sec.1.This chapter applies only to a Class 1 or Class 2 Structure for which a building permit is issued by a city, town, or county after June 30, 2018.

    Sec.2. As used in this chapter, "advanced structural components" means lightweight I-joists or lightweight roof trusses that:

    (1) have less mass cross-sectional area than sawn lumber of equivalent proportions used in an equivalent application; and (2) are assembled from combustible or non-combustible materials or both.

    The term does not include a structural assembly, joist, or truss that provides at least one (1) hour of fire resistance when tested in accordance with the ASTM Standard E119.

    A new law requires contractors to disclose the use of “advanced structural components” (See back of building permit). This is basically I-Joist and trusses with less than a one-hour fire resistance (ASTME119)

    State Enrolled Act No. 393
    Section 1.IC22-11-21 is added to the Indiana Code as a new chapter to read as follows [Effective July 1, 2018]:
    Chapter 21.Firefighter Safety Notification
    Sec. t. This chapter applies only to a Class 1 or Class 2 structure for which a building permit is issued by a city, town, or county after June 30, 2018.
    Sec. 2. As used in this chapter, “advanced structural components” means lightweight I-joists or lightweight roof trusses that:
    (1) have less mass cross-sectional area than sawn lumber of equivalent proportions used in an equivalent application; and
    (2) are assembled from combustible or noncombustible materials or both.
    This term does not include a structural assembly, joist, or truss that provides at least one (1) hour of fire resistance when tested in accordance with the ASTM Standard E119.

    Department / Board: Building Commission

  • What's the current Terrorism Advisory Level?

    Department / Board: Homeland Security

  • When is the Randolph County 4-H Fair?

    The Randolph County 4-H Fair begins the third Saturday of July each year.

    Department / Board: Extension Service

  • What is an ILP and why do I need one?

    An ILP, Improvement Location Permit, is to determine if you can place the structure you are wanting to build in the location you have planned. There are things to consider such as the flood plain, easements, county ditches, and property lines.

    In addition to that, in many locations, you may not build an accessory structure closer to the road than your home. You must also comply with all setbacks from the road, side and rear, and in residential an accessory structure may not be taller or larger in square footage than your home.

    There are rules on how close you may be to other buildings on your property or the property next door for fire safety. There are a few necessary guidelines in placing a new structure on your property--and many, many false rumors out there.

    So, please give us a call or come in and we can give you the facts about fitting your project in the location you have chosen. And before you place a new structure on your property--please remember your contractor must be registered with the county and you need an ILP and a Building Permit!

  • If my child was born at home in Randolph County how do I register his/her birth?

    You as parents have until the baby is 12 months old to file a Home Birth at the Randolph County Health Department. The cost is $20.00 which includes a certified birth certificate. If the child is more than 12 months old, you must file the birth with the Indiana State Department of Health as delayed birth registration.

    Department / Board: Health Department

  • Review the Randolph County Solar Ordinance

    Review the Randolph County Solar Ordinance randolph_county_solar_ordinance.pdf.

  • Can I pay with a check in the Clerk's Office?

    Starting May 8, 2015 payments made by personal OR business accounts CHECKS will to the Clerk's Office will result in the party that is to receive the money having to wait an additional 7 days before the payment will be mailed out (while your personal or business account check clears).

    Department / Board: Clerk's Office

  • Building Permits ARE Needed for?
    1. New structures
    2. Adding square footage to an existing structure
    3. Structural changes
    4. Manufactured Housing
    5. Foundation work
    6. Storage sheds (over 200 square feet and $1,500)
    7. Grain bins
    8. Decks
    9. Wind turbine towers
    10. Communication towers
    11. Sprinkler systems for fire suppression
    12. Mechanicals costing over $1,500.00 for electric, plumbing, and HVAC
    13. New or updated electrical panels (under $1,500)
    14. Demolition
    15. Awnings over 54" deep
    16. Swimming pools over 36" deep
    17. Signs

    Department / Board: Building Commission

  • Building Permits ARE NOT Needed for?
    1. Siding
    2. Doors
    3. Garage doors
    4. Windows
    5. Interior work (unless the load-bearing structure is altered)
    6. Roofing (unless the roof line or structure is altered)
    7. Detached accessory structure less than 200 square feet and less than $1,500
    8. Swings & playground equipment
    9. Fences under 6 feet
    10. Retaining walls under 4 feet
    11. Sidewalks and driveways
    12. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops and etc.
    13. Minor electrical repair and maintenance
    14. Minor mechanical repair and maintenance
    15. Prefabricated swimming pools less than 24" deep

    Department / Board: Building Commission

  • What is a Class I Structure?

    675 IAC 12-6-2 Definitions

    Sec. 2. (a) The definitions in this section apply throughout this rule.
    (b) “Class I structure” means the following:
    (1) Any part of the following:
    (A) A building or structure that is intended to be or is occupied or otherwise used in any part by any of the following:
    (i) The public
    (ii) Three (3) or more tenants
    (iii) One (1) or more persons who act as the employees of another
    (B) A site improvement affecting access by persons with physical disabilities to a building or structure described in this subdivision.
    (C) Storage facilities, tanks, and dispensing equipment for flammable and combustible liquids or gases.
    (2) Subdivision (1) includes a structure that contains three (3) or more condominium units (as defined in IC 32-1-6-2) or other units that:
    (A) Intended to be or are used or leased by the owner of the units; and
    (B) are not completely separated from each other by an unimproved space.

    Department / Board: Building Commission

  • What is a Class II Structure?

    IC 22-12-1-5
    "Class II structure"
    Sec. 5.
    (a) "Class II structure" means any part of the following:
    (1) A townhouse or a building or structure that is intended to contain or contains only one (1) dwelling unit or two (2) dwelling units unless any part of the building or structure is regularly used as a Class I structure.
    (2) An outbuilding for a structure described in subdivision (1), such as a garage, barn, or family swimming pool, including an above-ground swimming pool, unless any part of the outbuilding is regularly used as a Class I structure.

    Department / Board: Building Commission

  • Is there a brochure for the Auditor's Office?

    Yes! The Brochure shows our services and fees and provides other guidance.  You can download it here: PDF icon auditor-office-detail.pdf.

    Department / Board: Auditor's Office