Language Translation
  Close Menu

Building Commission

Randy Abel is the Randolph County Building Commissioner.

The Building Commission is responsible for assuring that the construction of buildings in the county meets the building codes, registering contractors to perform work in the county, issuing Building Permits, and conducting inspections during the construction/remodeling process.

The Building Commissioner's secretary can answer many of your questions.

The office is open from 8 am to 4 pm Monday through Friday. If you are planning on applying for a permit, please arrive at the office by 3:30.

Many of your questions about building in Randolph County may be answered in the Frequently Asked Questions on the Area Planning & Zoning Department page.


  • Building Permits ARE Needed for the following:
    1. New structures
    2. Adding square footage to an existing structure
    3. Structural changes
    4. Manufactured Housing
    5. Foundation work
    6. Storage sheds (over 200 square feet and $1,500)
    7. Grain bins
    8. Decks
    9. Wind turbine towers
    10. Communication towers
    11. Sprinkler systems for fire suppression
    12. Mechanicals costing over $1,500.00 for electric, plumbing and HVAC
    13. New or updated electrical panels (under $1,500)
    14. Demolition
    15. Awnings over 54" deep
    16. Swimming pools over 36" deep
    17. Signs
  • Building Permits ARE NOT Needed for the following:
    1. Siding
    2. Doors
    3. Garage doors
    4. Windows
    5. Interior work (unless the load bearing structure is altered)
    6. Roofing (unless the roof line or structure is altered)
    7. Detached accessory structure less than 200 square feet and less than $1,500
    8. Swings & playground equipment
    9. Fences under 6 feet
    10. Retaining walls under 4 feet
    11. Sidewalks and driveways
    12. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and etc.
    13. Minor electrical repair and maintenance
    14. Minor mechanical repair and maintenance
    15. Prefabricated swimming pools less than 24" deep
  • What is a Class I Structure?

    675 IAC 12-6-2 Definitions

    Sec. 2.

    1. The definitions in this section apply throughout this rule.
    2. “Class I structure” means the following:
      1. Any part of the following:
        1. A building or structure that is intended to be or is occupied or otherwise used in any part by any of the following:
          1. The public
          2. Three (3) or more tenants
          3. One (1) or more persons who act as the employees of another
        2. A site improvement affecting access by persons with physical disabilities to a building or structure described in this subdivision.
        3. Storage facilities, tanks, and dispensing equipment for flammable and combustible liquids or gases.
      2. Subdivision (1) includes a structure that contains three (3) or more condominium units (as defined in IC 32-1-6-2) or other units that:
        1. Intended to be or are used or leased by the owner of the units; and
        2. are not completely separated from each other by an unimproved space.
  • What is a Class II Structure?

    IC 22-12-1-5 - Class II Structure

    Sec. 5.

    1. "Class II structure" means any part of the following:
      1. A townhouse or a building or structure that is intended to contain or contains only one (1) dwelling unit or two (2) dwelling units unless any part of the building or structure is regularly used as a Class I structure.
      2. An outbuilding for a structure described in subdivision (1), such as a garage, barn, or family swimming pool, including an above-ground swimming pool, unless any part of the outbuilding is regularly used as a Class I structure.
  • What is the Senate Enrolled Act No. 393, and how does it affect my building permit?

    A new law requires contractors to disclose the use of “advanced structural components” (See back of building permit). This is basically I-Joist and trusses with less than a one hour fire resistance (ASTME119).

    State Enrolled Act No. 393

    Section 1.IC22-11-21 is added to the Indiana Code as a new chapter to read as follows [Effective July 1, 2018]:
    Chapter 21. Firefighter Safety Notification
    Sec. 1. This chapter applies only to a Class 1 or Class 2 structure for which a building permit is issued by a city, town, or county after June 30, 2018.
    Sec. 2. As used in this chapter, “advanced structural components” means lightweight I-joists or lightweight roof trusses that:
    (1) have less mass cross-sectional area than sawn lumber of equivalent proportions used in an equivalent application; and
    (2) are assembled from combustible or noncombustible materials or both.
    This term does not include a structural assembly, joist, or truss that provides at least one (1) hour of fire resistance when tested in accordance with the ASTM Standard E119.


Bev Fields

Building Commission Secretary | (765) 584-0275 Ext. 235

Randy Abel

Randolph County Building Commissioner | (765) 584-0275 Ext. 234

Office Information

Center for Family Opportunity

Randolph County Building Commission
325 S Oak Street, Suite #204
Winchester, IN 47394

(765) 584-0275