CenterPoint Energy Electric Rates
CenterPoint Energy's Indiana electric utility - formerly Vectren - serves six southwestern Indiana counties.
Pending electric cases for CenterPoint Energy include its:
- Natural gas generation proposal (IURC Cause No. 45564)
- Vermillion County & Knox County Solar Projects (IURC Cause No. 45600)
- Excess distributed generation tariff (IURC Cause No. 45378)
- Financing request (IURC Cause No. 45590)
- Trackers under its approved 7-year infrastructure plan (IURC Cause No. 44910)
In the most recent IURC survey of residential electric utility rates, CenterPoint Energy's average bill ranked highest among the utilities under IURC jurisdiction.
Major components in a typical electric bill include base rates, trackers, and sales taxes.
Base rates cover most of a utility’s operating and maintenance costs. They make up approximately 95 percent of a typical CenterPoint Energy residential electric bill.
To view the rate case's public file, click here and enter cause number 43839.
In addition to base rates, CenterPoint Energy and other electric utilities recover and credit separate, specific costs through rate adjustment mechanisms known as "trackers." The OUCC reviews all tracker rate adjustments in IURC cases on a regular basis.
CenterPoint's authorized trackers make up about 8 percent of a residential customer’s typical electric bill. To view the IURC public files in a tracker case, click here and enter the appropriate cause number.
Tracker Recovers Costs for Frequency IURC Cause No. Fuel Adjustment Clause (FAC) Coal and other fuels Quarterly 38708 Demand Side Management (DSMA) Energy efficiency programs Annual 43405 Reliability Cost & Revenue Adjustment (RCRA) Capacity resources needed for system reliability Semi-Annual 43406 Clean Energy Cost Adjustment (CECA) Solar energy project construction & operation Annual 44909 Environmental Cost Adjustment (ECA) Emissions control equipment & ash pond remediation Annual 45052 MISO Cost & Revenue Adjustment (MCRA) Participation in Midcontinent Independent Transmission System Operator (MISO) Semi-Annual 43354 Transmission, Distribution, & Storage System Improvement Charge (TDSIC) Projects in seven-year infrastructure plan Semi-Annual 44910
Additional Cases of Note
Previous CenterPoint Energy/Vectren electric cases before the IURC include:
- Posey County & Warrick County Solar Projects (IURC Cause No. 45501)
- Ash pond closure compliance project at the A. B. Brown Generating Facility (Cause No. 45280)
- Generation transition proposal (Cause No. 45052)
- Spencer County solar generation project (Cause No. 45086)
- Evansville solar projects (Cause No. 44909)
- Vectren/CenterPoint merger informational docket (Cause No. 45109)
- 2017 Tax Cuts & Jobs Act investigation (Cause No. 45032)
- Coal Procurement Practices (Cause No. 38708 FAC 102 S1)
- Dense Pack Project (Cause No. 44067)
- Energy Efficiency Plans (Cause No. 45387)
The seven percent state sales tax applies to all Indiana electric utilities.