Declaration of Disaster Emergency – East Chicago
On February 9, 2017, Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb issued an Executive Order for Declaration of Disaster Emergency in East Chicago. The area covered by the disaster emergency consists of 322 acres and is bounded by East Chicago Avenue on the north, East 151st Street on the south, the Indiana Harbor Canal on the west, and Parrish Avenue on the east (map). On March 10, 2017 Governor Holcomb extended his Executive Order for an additional 30 days.
As part of the Executive Order, Governor Holcomb ordered the Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority (IHCDA) to develop this web page to provide status updates, progress reports, and other important information from State, Federal and local partners.
Gov. Holcomb on HUD Secretary Ben Carson's Visit to East Chicago - August 7, 2017
Gov. Holcomb, HUD Secretary Carson to Visit USS Lead Superfund Site Monday - August 4, 2017
Resident Progress Reports
The West Calumet Housing Complex, located within the affected area, is a public housing complex operated by the East Chicago Housing Authority (ECHA). Due to high levels of lead in the soil, it is no longer safe for residents to live in this complex. To ensure coordination of government resources, and the safe relocation of the remaining residents, weekly phone calls involving local, state and federal officials are conducted.
Provided below are weekly progress reports:
- Resident Progress Report – June 16, 2017 (final report)
- Resident Progress Report – May 31, 2017
- Resident Progress Report – May 10, 2017
- Resident Progress Report – April 21, 2017
- Resident Progress Report – March 29, 2017
- Resident Progress Report – March 22, 2017
- Resident Progress Report – March 15, 2017
- Resident Progress Report – March 8, 2017
- Resident Progress Report – March 1, 2017
- Resident Progress Report – February 22, 2017
- Resident Progress Report – February 15, 2017
Below are local, state and federal officials involved in in the Disaster Emergency in East Chicago.
- City of East Chicago
- East Chicago Housing Authority
- Landlord Open House - March 18, 2017
- Housing Choice Partners (HCP)
- Indiana Family & Social Services Administration (FSSA)
- Indiana to establish new health services initiative for enhanced lead testing and abatement - October 18, 2017
- The Division of Family Resources is offering assistance to current West Calumet Housing Complex residents in replacing household necessities that were contaminated. These items include: bedding, furniture, and other household items. Click here to view the flyer.
- Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority (IHCDA)
- Development Teams, Subject Matter Experts, Local Leaders and Former West Calumet Residents - November 16, 2017
- MVG and UP Development selected to participate in the Moving Forward 3.0 Program - September 1, 2017
- Development Teams present plans in East Chicago for the Moving Forward 3.0 Program - August 7, 2017
- State of Indiana awarded $3.4 million to protect children and families from dangerous lead - June 26, 2017
- Moving Forward 3.0 Program to take place in Lake County - May 11, 2017
- IHCDA announces $2 million for security and demolition of the West Calumet Housing Complex - March 23, 2017
- Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM)
- 2017 East Chicago Lead and Copper Compliance Verification Sampling - August 22, 2017
- Mary Hollingsworth's PowerPoint Presentation - August 22, 2017
- Safe Drinking Water Compliance Monitoring Summary for East Chicago - August 17, 2017
- East Chicago Sampling Results - June 26, 2017
- IDEM announces sampling results for East Chicago's public water system - May 31, 2017
- Filter Installation Report - May 2017
- IDEM to provide water filters for Superfund residents in East Chicago - April 3, 2017
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - Water filters for Superfund residents in East Chicago - April 3, 2017
- Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH)
- Indiana Department of Homeland Security (IDHS)
- United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- HUD awards East Chicago $4 million for demolition of West Calumet housing site - September 15, 2017
- HUD Summary of East Chicago Relocation - March 3, 2017
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- USS Lead Superfund Site January Community Meeting - January 20, 2018
- Indiana, Michigan and Minnesota Sites Included on EPA's Superfund Redevelopment Focus List - January 17, 2018
- EPA announces the USS Lead Superfund site will be on list of sites targeted for immediate, intense attention - December 8, 2017
- USS Lead Superfund Site
- US EPA, Indiana, East Chicago Officials Issue Joint Statement Pledging Improved Coordination, Communication and Cleanup of USS Lead Superfund Site - May 5, 2017
- EPA Set to Resume Cleanup at Superfund Site in East Chicago - March 20, 2017
- Senator Joe Donnelly
- Senator Todd Young
- U.S. Congressman Pete Visclosky
For partners, please e-mail email@example.com to have updates posted to this webpage.
- Response Letter from Governor Eric Holcomb to Mayor Anthony Copeland - March 17, 2017
- Response Letter from Mr. Tim English to Dr. Jerome Adams - March 8, 2017
- Letter to Mr. Scott Pruitt from Governor Eric Holcomb - March 7, 2017
- Letter to Dr. Ben Carson from Governor Eric Holcomb - March 6, 2017
- Letter to Dr. Ben Carson and The Honorable Scott Pruitt from Senator Donnelly, Young and Visclosky - March 2, 2017
- Letter to Mr. Tim English from Dr. Jerome Adams - February 22, 2017
The East Chicago Housing Authority (ECHA) hosted a Landlord Open-House for the Section 8 West Calumet Residents on Saturday, March 18, 2017 at the Community Center (4925 Gladiola Street, East Chicago, Indiana) from 9:00 am - 12:00 pm. The ECHA urges all Section 8 landlords to participate and meet with West Calumet residents and share with them what apartments/houses that are available.
There are multiple pieces of proposed legislation at the state and federal levels to provide additional support to those affected. For updates on these bills please visit:
- Click here to track state legislation.
- Click here to track federal legislation.