Energy Assistance Program (EAP)
The Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority (IHCDA) would like to thank you for all you have done to help ensure families stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer. This energy assistance program assists roughly 108,000 families on an annual basis with their utilities.
This page is designed to provide resources for the local service providers and utility vendors who work with IHCDA to run the program. If you are looking for a resource that is not listed below, please contact IHCDA at LIHEAP@ihcda.in.gov .
Program Policy and Operations
Pursuant to Public Law subsection 2605 (a) (2), the State of Indiana wishes to encourage the public to participate in the development of the State of Indiana LIHEAP State Plan for federal fiscal year 2020. In accordance with this regulation, the State is providing the opportunity for the public to comment on the 2020 State Plan draft report, which will be submitted to the US Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Community Services, on or before September 1, 2019. The draft State Plan can be located here. The State Plan defines the method of distribution of funding for the LIHEAP Program.
The public is invited to make comments through August 23, 2019, in one of the three ways below:
- In writing to:
Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority
Community Programs Manager – Energy Assistance Program
30 S. Meridian Street, Suite 900
Indianapolis, IN 46204
- By e-mail at LIHEAP@ihcda.in.gov
- Or by telephone at 317-234-8189 and leave a message.
- EBTR Webinar Presentation
- 2019 EAP Program Manual (updated August 6, 2018)
- 2019 Program Manual Appendices (updated August 7, 2018)
- Notice LI-019-01 - Drastic Loss of Income
- Detailed Model Plan (LIHEAP)
- LIHEAP Guidance on Recording Energy Assistance Benefit Payments in the General Ledger (LI-018-01)
- LIHEAP Budget Changes - Minimum Threshold
- 2018-2019 Intake Sites by County (updated December 3, 2018)
- 2018-2019 Budget Sheet (updated October 5, 2018)
- DOE vs LIHEAP Income Guidance
- Notice CP-18-01 - Claims Guidance
- Reissuance of EAP Client Checks
- 2018-2019 Tri-fold brochure (updated September 12, 2018)
- 2018-2019 One-page flyer (updated September 12, 2018)
EAP Fall Training PY2020
- EAP Policy & Manual Jeopardy
- Crisis Mitigation Strategies
- Income Calculation
- Monitoring Overview
- Policy Changes
- Program Performance & Integrity Overview
Indiana Home Energy Assistance Program (State EAP) to End after 2019
Homeowners may also be eligible for the Indiana Home Energy Assistance Program also known as State EAP. Effective July 1, 2012, the Indiana State Legislature enacted HEA 1141, which created the Indiana Home Energy Assistance Program. This program is funded by the multistate mortgage settlement fund. The State Budget Agency remits payment, equal to amount of the gross tax revenue collected, to the Office of the Lieutenant Governor no later than October 1. The funds are sent to IHCDA to administer the program. The Indiana Home Energy Assistance Program (State EAP) provides home energy assistance to homeowners. The program uses the same eligibility standards as the federally-funded Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Renters are not eligible for this benefit. The State EAP Program runs parallel to the LIHEAP program October 1 to September 30.
Because State EAP is paid for from the Mortgage settlement fund, the funds will be exhausted during the 2019 program year. At this time program, IHCDA is projecting that the program will end after the 2019 Program year. LSPs should make a point to mention this to their clients.