Maternal Infant Health Initiatives
Infant mortality is a measure of population health and how a community, state, or nation is faring in caring for the most vulnerable in society. Infant health is inseparable from maternal health and maternal health is inseparable from a woman’s health and well-being before, during, and after pregnancy. St. Joseph County Department of Health (SJCDoH) Maternal Infant Health Initiatives are focused on community action built around three key areas that will lead to a reduction in infant mortality and the elimination of racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic disparities in infant and maternal health.
These areas include:
- Systems, Policy, and Legislation: to address the structural and social determinants of health.
- Healthcare Institutions and Maternal Child Health professionals: to improve quality, address implicit bias, and facilitate collaboration with community based care through relationship building and consultation with providers and hospital systems.
- Women, Infants, Fathers, Families, and Community: to facilitate engagement into community needs, solutions, and participation in community led action.
The focus of our community action priorities are based on the recommendations and review of more than 220 stories of infant and fetal loss studied by the Fetal Infant Mortality Review Case Review Team since 2016.
- Maternal Infant Health Initiatives Recommendations and Community Action 2021-2022
- Thank You Slides for Achieving Birth Equity Conference July 2022
- Fetal Infant Mortality Review FIMR Annual Report 2015-2019 Data
- Fetal Infant Mortality Review FIMR Annual Report 2016-2020 Data
- Indiana Department of Health Maternal Mortality Review Committee 2022 Report
- Annual Report to the Community 2018
- St. Joseph County FIMR Annual Report August 2018
- SJCDoH MIHI Birth Equity Assessment
- SJCDoH Maternal Infant Health Initiatives Report Comunity Action Data 2023
Robin Vida, MPH, CHES, Director of HOPE (Health Outreach, Promotion, & Education)
Phone: (574) 235-9750, Extension 7956
TBD, Maternal Infant Health Coordinator
Cell Phone (Preferred):
Information & Resources for Before, During, and After Pregnancy
- Connections During Pregnancy
- Safe Sleep for Babies
- Count the Kicks
- Birth Equity & Justice St. Joseph County
- General Pregnancy Resources