Water and Wastewater Division
The Commission’s primary responsibility regarding water and wastewater utilities is to regulate rates and charges and the quality of service for the utilities under its authority. Proceedings before the Commission can be complex, sometimes taking 12 to 18 months to complete. These proceedings include, but are not limited to, rate changes (through base rate cases, distribution system improvement charges, and periodic trackers), certificates of territorial authority for not-for-profit and investor-owned utilities, acquisitions, service area matters, and conservation initiatives.
Below you will find rate comparison data, utility tariffs, 30-day filings, lists of jurisdictional and withdrawn utilities, industry reports, links to federal resources, and administrative materials and forms for regulated utilities.
To contact the Water and Wastewater Division with any questions or to request copies of utility tariffs and annual reports submitted by regulated utilities, please call 317-233-2991.
Rates, Charges, Rules, and Regulations
- Residential Bill Survey: Water | Wastewater
- 30-Day Filings: List | Process | Guidelines for Submitting an Objection
- Utility Rates and Charges: Tariffs
- Inside/Outside City Rate Differential Petitions
Indiana Water Industry Reports
- Water Utility Resource Report (2013) – Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission | PDF
- Water Utility Resource Report (2014) – Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission | PDF
- Indiana’s Water Shortage Plan (March 2015) – Indiana Department of Natural Resources | PDF
- Evaluation of Water Utility Planning in Indiana (Oct. 2015) – Indiana Finance Authority | PDF
- Financial Needs for Water and Wastewater Infrastructure in Indiana (2015-2034) (Nov. 2016) – Indiana Advisory Commission on Intergovernmental Relations | PDF
- Evaluation of Indiana’s Water Utilities (Nov. 2016) – Indiana Finance Authority | PDF
- Southeastern Indiana Regional Water Supply (Jan. 2018) – Indiana Finance Authority | PDF
Resources for Small Utilities
- 2018 Small Utility Workshop
- Alternative Regulatory Procedure
- Small Utility Toolkit
- Educational Resources for Small Utilities
- Small Utility Rate Application: Statute | Brochure
Administrative Materials and Forms
- Annual Report Filing Process: Forms
- Public Utility Fee Report: Forms
- Water Tracker: Rule | Application
- Wastewater Tracker: Rule | Application
- Distribution System Improvement Charge (DSIC): Rule
For additional resources about the water and wastewater industries and utility regulation, please click here.