Language Translation
  Close Menu

Health Center Q&A's

Q & A Common Health Center Questions

Medication Administration

At ISBVI, our priority is the health and safety of students. Therefore, it is important to understand the process of medication administration. Here are some frequently asked questions to better understand the Health Center Policy.

My child needs a medication administered at school, what is the process?

You will need to fill out and sign a Medication Authorization Form. For prescription medication, it may be beneficial to ask your pharmacist for two (2) bottles in order to separate the medication needed at home and at school. You will need to provide the medication (preferably for a minimum of two weeks) in a prescription bottle with the EXACT instructions. If the instructions differ from actual dosing, the medication cannot be administered at ISBVI.

Does my child get the medication back for weekends and/or at the end of the year?

If your child needs medication over the weekend, YOU MUST REQUEST medication be returned by contacting the Health Center. You may pick up the medication, request transfer via UAP, or fill out appropriate paperwork for student transfer if 9th grade or older. At the end of the year, all medications are returned. Medications that are not picked up are disposed of after 30 days.

Will you let me know if my child is running low on medications or needs a refill?

As a courtesy, we try and inform parents of medications needing refill. However, because of the large number of medications administered, refill requests may not occur. The empty bottle will be sent home with a refill request. It is the parent and student’s responsibility to ensure a medication is supplied to the Health Center for administration.

What if my child has asthma, anaphylaxis, or other life-threatening diagnosis and needs to carry his/her medication?

A self-administration/ self-carry form will need to be filled out. This may also warrant the need for an “Action Plan” Form. For the safety of your child and other students, self-administrations and self-carry are only allowed in these instances.

My child has daily allergies and/or headaches-can he/she get the medication from the Health Center?

If the medication needs REGULAR (5 or more days) administration, the student will need to bring their own supply as the Health Center has limited resources. In cases of short-term use and acute symptoms, the Health Center can provide some over-the-counter medications. You may be called if medication administration becomes regular to discuss your child’s symptoms, possible need for further evaluation, and need to provide daily medication if administration is to continue.

My child self-administers at home, why can’t they do it at ISBVI?

For long term medications, it is important your child is self-reliant on administration. Therefore, we encourage you to administer medications at home whenever possible. If medications need to be given at ISBVI, they must be given by a nurse or unlicensed authorized personnel (UAP) to ensure the medication is not tampered with, lost, taken incorrectly and to avoid other safety concerns.

What if I run out of my child’s medication and am not able to get it before the following week?

We understand you have a busy lifestyle and it may not be possible to get medications in a timely manner from the pharmacy; however, the Health Center is not responsible for providing your child’s medication. Reminders (from the pharmacy, on your personal phone, or in your planner/calendar) and noting the day medications need to be refilled can be helpful ways to ensure prescriptions are obtained in a timely manner.

My child has a rescue medication, but I forgot it- what should I do?

It is important your child have their rescue medications. In the event we do not have the medication, you will be contacted and encouraged to provide the medication as soon as possible. In accordance with Indiana and Federal Laws, your child cannot be excluded from field trips, school outings, or other off-campus events unless you specifically provide a note or verbal confirmation limiting their participation. All efforts will be made to provide a nurse or trained UAP to administer rescue medication when off-campus activities occur.  

Immunizations and Vaccines

Why does ISBVI require vaccines?

Parents want to do everything possible to make sure their children are healthy and protected from preventable diseases. Vaccination is the best way to do that. Vaccination protects children from serious illness and complications of vaccine-preventable diseases which can include amputation of an arm or leg, paralysis of limbs, hearing loss, convulsions, brain damage, and death. Vaccine-preventable diseases, such as measles, mumps, and whooping cough, are still a threat. They continue to infect U.S. children, resulting in hospitalizations and deaths every year. Though vaccination has led to a dramatic decline in the number of U.S. cases of several infectious diseases, some of these diseases are quite common in other countries and are brought to the U.S. by international travelers. If children are not vaccinated, they could easily get one of these diseases from a traveler or while traveling themselves. Outbreaks of preventable diseases occur when many parents decide not to vaccinate their children. Vaccination is safe and effective. All vaccines undergo long and careful review by scientists, doctors, and the federal government to make sure they are safe. Organizations such as the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Academy of Family Physicians, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention all strongly support protecting children with recommended vaccinations. Vaccination protects others you care about, including family members, friends, and grandparents. If children aren’t vaccinated, they can spread disease to other children who are too young to be vaccinated or to people with weakened immune systems, such as transplant recipients and people with cancer. This could result in long-term complications and even death for these vulnerable people. We all have a public health commitment to our communities to protect each other and each other’s children by vaccinating our own family members (Immunization Action Coalition, 2019)

What immunization does my child need for school?

Based on your child age/grade, your child will need specific immunizations. You can find the full list on the Indiana State Department of Health (  The Center for Disease Control (CDC) also provides detailed information as to required immunizations and their importance.

My child may be exempt from immunizations- what should I do?

ISBVI and the Indiana State Department of Health strongly encourages immunization to avoid contraction of preventable, life threatening disease. Medical and religious exemptions are the only two acceptable exemption in the state of Indiana. If your child is exempt, you will need to provide appropriate documentation and the required forms.

Change in Health Status

What should I do if my child’s health status changes?

Because your child’s health status directly effects his/her ability to participate in school, it is important the school and health center are made aware. It may be beneficial to re-fill out the health center forms to address changes in medications and may require an Action Plan form. Pertinent information can be faxed from your child’s provider to the Health center at 317.238.1771.

How do I contact the health center?

There are several ways you can contact the Health Center, including phone (317.253.1481 ext 152), email (, and fax (317.238.1771).  Please also feel free to stop by the health center during school hours to meet our staff or discuss any concerns you may have.