Language Translation
  Close Menu


Utility Codes, Policy, and Manual

* 105-IAC-13
* Utility Accommodation Policy (UAP) (Revised 6/26/24)
* IDM Ch. 104‚Äč

Utility Coordination Training and Certification

Utility Coordination Training and Certification Continued Education Exam 

Effective January 1, 2023, a Continued Education (CE) Exam for Utility Coordination is required to help keep the industry informed of any updates to utility coordination. This CE exam will be required for anyone with a Utility Coordinator Certification 3 years or older and will consist of 25 multiple choice questions. This exam is proctored, meaning the user needs to utilize the Instructor ID and Proctor Code that will be sent in the initial notification email. Once notified, each user must self-assign the exam via the INDOT Training Portal (use this link to access the page) by searching: “Continued Education Utility Coordination Exam” and selecting the “self-assign” option. INDOT will be notifying those that need to take the CE Exam 30 days prior to one’s current certification from expiring. Failure to take and pass this CE exam will result in your name being removed from the list of Certified Utility Coordinators and in order to be re-added to the list you will need to take the full Certified Utility Coordinator Exam on one of the pre-scheduled dates. If you have any questions or would like to complete CE Exam before the 30-day notification of expiration, please email

Certified Utility Coordinator Exam

Utility coordination on INDOT contracts is required to be performed by a certified utility coordinator. INDOT will be offering the free INDOT Certified Utility Coordinator exam on Wednesday, October 2nd, 2024, at 9:00am electronically via the INDOT Training Platform. To register for the exam please email our Utility Support Inbox at: and additional registration instructions will be provided. Please note that the final day to register for this exam is at 12:00pm noon on Friday, September 27th, 2024. Any requests received after that date / time may not be able to register and may have to wait until the next scheduled Utility Coordinator Exam, likely sometime in April 2025.

This test will be made available to individuals who meet the following criteria:

  • Hold a B.S. in civil engineering or related field,
  • have a minimum of 1 year of experience in the transportation or utility industries; or
  • Possess a minimum of 2 years of experience in the transportation or utility industries, at least 1 year of experience with utility coordination. Required years of experience can overlap.

To be a Certified Utility Coordinator, you must score at least a 75% on the certification test and should you pass the exam, your name will be added to the publicly available Certified Utility Coordinators list within a week.

Utility Coordination Training and Certification Training Material:

INDOT Utilities and Railroad Division now has an online Certified Utility Coordinator training course through the INDOT Training Portal; to setup an account and self-register for this course please click: INDOT Training Portal. For additional assistance with registering for this course please email Sami Jo Ahern, and assistance with setting up an account or login issues, please email We encourage the use of this course in studying for the next Utility Certification Exam.

Current Certified Utility Coordinators

Certified Utility Coordinators as of 6/17/2024

Please email to update Certified Utility Coordinator information

Authorized Utility Representative

Title 105, Article 13, Rule 3, Section 1(a) of the Indiana Administrative Code requires Utility Companies to submit authorized representative information to INDOT for use during coordination for highway improvement projects. Use the form below to submit new representative information or to change your existing representative information. 

For a utility company that is privately or cooperatively owned, please provide an official name under which your company does business. If your company is already registered with the Indiana Secretary of State please include the Business ID. You can find the business ID on the Secretary of State website. For utility companies that are owned by a municipality, please enter your utility company name in a format similar to one of these two entries, substituting the name of your municipality appropriately "Indianapolis, City of" or "Speedway, Town of". If your utility owns two different types of facilities (example – gas and electric) you will need to enter data and submit for each type of facility. 

Warning: The utility contact information is not intended for use by the general public. Do not use this information to contact utilities about customer service problems or for billing questions or payments. The public should contact utilities using information provided on their customer service bill or published customer service numbers.

Do not use the utility contact information as a substitute for underground utility locator services. By Indiana law, you must contact each utility at least two full working days before you start to dig. If you plan to dig, contact indiana811. Indiana811 is the Indiana Underground Plant Protection Service.

Current Authorized Utility Representative List 06.19.2024

Update Authorized Utility Representative List

To submit or change a Utility Company's Authorized Representative Information please email  our Utility Support  inbox at: and provide full contact details of the requested Authorized Utilities Representative.

Buy America 


The Utility Management System (UMS) can be obtained via the INDOT Technical Application Pathway (ITAP).

Standard Utility Documents are located in the UMS “Template Library” or provided by the Utility Coordinator.

INDOT Events

More News & Events

Top FAQs