Agency Main Banner Content
Recycling Market Development Program
Request for Proposals: Recycling Infrastructure & Economics Study
The Indiana Department of Environmental Management Office of Program Support on behalf of the Recycling Market Development Board (RMDB) is requesting proposals to conduct a state-wide municipal solid waste (MSW) and recycling infrastructure and economic impact study in the State of Indiana. Funding for one project will be awarded on a competitive basis.
Proposals are being accepted through January 10, 2020 until 5:00 PM EST
Recycling Market Development Grants
The Recycling Market Development Program will be accepting new grant proposals in the spring of 2020.
Projects should focus on reuse, reduction, and recycling methods that result in one or more of the following:
- An increase in recyclable material collection or consumption,
- A reduction in municipal solid waste shipped for final disposal,
- Improved partnerships with communities, including not only economic impacts, but increased public awareness of recycling opportunities through tangible outreach and education efforts.
Public/private businesses, local government and not-profit organizations located and doing business in Indiana may seek a grant starting at $1,000 and up to $250,000, with a 50 percent cash match.
The documents provided below will provide you with additional information and forms for your submittal:
- Recycling Market Development Grant Announcement and Request for Proposal Guidelines [PDF]
- Attachment B: Cover Page [PDF]
- Attachment C: Completeness Check [PDF]
Grant Funding Questions
IDEM has compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions (FAQs) [PDF] and inquiries submitted to date. FAQs will be regularly updated for your convenience.
The Recycling Market Development Program (RMDP) was established in the early 1990s to better manage solid waste by developing markets for recycling. The Program is supported by the Recycling Promotion and Assistance Fund (RPAF) established under IC 4-23-5.5-14. Funding is fifty percent of the Solid Waste Management (SWM) Fee (IC 13-20-22-1).
Recycling Market Development Board
The RMDP is administered by IDEM and operates under the Recycling Market Development Board as established by IC 4-23-5.5. The Board may promote, fund, and encourage programs facilitating the development and implementation of waste reduction, reuse, and recycling in Indiana. They determine all final funding for eligible projects.
Indiana Municipal Solid Waste Characterization Study
The Indiana Recycling Market Development Board commissioned a municipal solid waste characterization study to determine the types of recyclable materials still going into Indiana landfills. The study completed by Purdue University—Calumet allowed college students to discover first-hand the challenges in measuring Indiana’s waste stream.
Recycling Annual Report
Each November, the Indiana Recycling Market Development Program issues an annual report on program funding and awards. An archive of these reports is available for inspection:
- 2018 RMDP Annual Report [PDF]
- 2017 RMDP Annual Report [PDF]
- 2016 RMDP Annual Report [PDF]
- 2015 RMDP Annual Report [PDF]
- 2014 RMDP Annual Report [PDF]
- 2013 RMDP Annual Report [PDF]
- 2012 RMDP Annual Report [PDF]
- 2011 RMDP Annual Report [PDF]
- 2010 Recycling Annual Report [DOC]
For More Information...
For more information on the Recycling Market Development Program, contact the IDEM Office of Program Support.