The Recycling Market Development Program was established in the early 1990s to better manage solid waste by developing markets for recycling. The Program is supported by the Recycling Promotion and Assistance Fund (RPAF) established under IC 4-23-5.5-14. Funding is fifty percent of the Solid Waste Management (SWM) Fee (IC 13-20-22-1).
Recycling Market Development Board
The RMDP is administered by IDEM and operates under the Recycling Market Development Board as established by IC 4-23-5.5. The Board may promote, fund, and encourage programs facilitating the development and implementation of waste reduction, reuse, and recycling in Indiana. They determine all final funding for eligible projects.
Recycling Market Development Grants
Projects should focus on reuse, reduction, and recycling methods that result in one or more of the following:
- An increase in recyclable material collection or consumption,
- A reduction in municipal solid waste shipped for final disposal,
- Improved partnerships with communities, including not only economic impacts, but increased public awareness of recycling opportunities through tangible outreach and education efforts.
Public/private businesses, solid waste management districts, local government, schools, and not-profit organizations located and doing business in Indiana may seek grant funding starting at $50,000 and up to $500,000, with a 50 percent cash match.
Program and Submission Guidelines
Applicants should refer to the Recycling Market Development Grant Announcement and Request for Proposal Guidelines (Currently Unavailable) for complete proposal requirements and submittal guidance.
Submissions for RMDP grant funding must include:
- Cover Page: State Form 56936 (available on the IDEM Agency Forms page)
- Project Description/Scope of Work
- Past Performance
- Cash Match, including proof of available funding for total project cost
- Detailed Budget Narrative, including table and quotes for all relevant purchases
- If you are business purchasing equipment, Business Plan
Incomplete applications may not be accepted for consideration.
Applicants should review this RFP in its entirety and, if needed, discuss their proposed projects with the RMDP grant program manager prior to submitting a proposal.
Indiana Recycling Infrastructure & Economic Study
IDEM’s Office of Program Support (OPS) has released the Indiana Recycling Infrastructure and Economic Impact Study. The Study was commissioned by the Recycling Market Development Board (RMDB) and prepared by GT Environmental. It provides a comprehensive review and analysis of Indiana’s recycling infrastructure and the significant economic impact of recycling the state. The Study also includes specific recommendations to improve statewide recycling to maximize its impact in the circular economy.
The Study demonstrates that Indiana’s waste and recycling infrastructure for municipal solid waste collected approximately 8.8 million tons in 2019, of which 19% was diverted from landfills through recycling and composting. The Study details that although only 19% of MSW currently generated (the state has a goal of 50%), the impact in total jobs in the recycling industry, the economic impact, and the tax impacts are significant.
Indiana Municipal Solid Waste Characterization Study
The Indiana Recycling Market Development Board commissioned a municipal solid waste characterization study to determine the types of recyclable materials still going into Indiana landfills. The study completed by Purdue University—Calumet allowed college students to discover first-hand the challenges in measuring Indiana’s waste stream.
Recycling Annual Report
Each November, the Indiana Recycling Market Development Program issues an annual report on program funding and awards. An archive of these reports is available for inspection:
- 2021 RMDP Annual Report [PDF]
- 2020 RMDP Annual Report [PDF]
- 2019 RMDP Annual Report [PDF]
- 2018 RMDP Annual Report [PDF]
- 2017 RMDP Annual Report [PDF]
- 2016 RMDP Annual Report [PDF]
- 2015 RMDP Annual Report [PDF]
- 2014 RMDP Annual Report [PDF]
- 2013 RMDP Annual Report [PDF]
- 2012 RMDP Annual Report [PDF]
- 2011 RMDP Annual Report [PDF]
- 2010 Recycling Annual Report [DOC]
For More Information...
For more information on the Recycling Market Development Program, contact the IDEM Office of Program Support.