Watershed Assessment and Planning
The IDEM Watershed Assessment and Planning Branch conducts sampling in rivers, streams and lakes and analyzes those samples to assess the status of water quality across the state. This work is done according to the Indiana Surface Water Quality Monitoring Strategy, which guides and prioritizes the type of monitoring programs IDEM must do to meet Clean Water Act (and Safe Drinking Water Act) requirements. IDEM also participates annually, either directly or through U.S. EPA support, in the National Aquatic Resource Surveys where a portion of Indiana’s surface waters are sampled to include in a national overview of water quality.
Under the Indiana Surface Water Quality Monitoring Strategy, staff collect water chemistry, E. coli, fish, macroinvertebrate, aquatic habitat and algae data. The data are analyzed and used for statewide and watershed specific surface water-related assessments, development of the Integrated Report, and planning and restoration projects. The data collected and assessed by staff also supports water quality standards development, NPDES permitting and compliance activities, public health advisories, such as for fish consumption and blue-green algae, volunteer monitoring efforts through the Hoosier Riverwatch and Clean Lakes Programs, and the IndianaMap.
Each year staff prepare for the coming seasons of field work by preparing work plans that describe the activities, what parameters/pollutants that will be sampled and tested, when and where these activities will take place, and for what programs. Below is a list of work plans that were developed for this last monitoring season as well as one for this next season. As new work plans are generated they will be added for each upcoming monitoring season.
Monitoring Programs Work Plans
- 2017 QAPP for IN Surface Water Quality Monitoring [PDF]
- 2017 Fixed Station Water Quality Monitoring Program Work Plan [PDF]
- 2018 Probabilistic Monitoring Work Plan for the Tributaries of the Great Lakes Basin [PDF]
- 2017 Cyanobacteria and Cyanotoxin WP for Selected Lakes in Indiana [PDF]
- 2017 Performance Measures Monitoring WP for Selected Indiana Sub-Watersheds [PDF]
- 2017 Nutrients/Diel Dissolved Oxygen Pilot Study Work Plan [PDF]
- 2017 Assessment of Thermal Discharges on Downstream Fish Communities Work Plan [PDF]
- 2018 Fish Tissue Contaminants Monitoring Work Plan for the Upper Wabash Basin [PDF]
- 2018 Watershed Characterization Work Plan for Lower East Fork White River [PDF]
- 2018 Reference Site Monitoring Work Plan [PDF]
- 2015 Sampling and Analysis Work Plan for the Analysis of Dissolved Metals on Selected Streams in Indiana [PDF]