Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Remembered, Celebrated Statewide
More than 500 students, legislators, state employees and civic leaders were in the Indiana Statehouse last Thursday for the Indiana Civil Rights Commission's 22nd Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Indiana Holiday Celebration. The program was highlighted by Governor Mike Pence's remarks, a keynote address by former Indianapolis Colts linebacker Gary Brackett, and the presentation of awards.
A special thanks goes out to the media outlets that covered the program:
- Pence urges Indiana residents to emulate King (WDRB.com)
- Gov. Pence recalls Martin Luther King as faith leader (Indianapolis Star)
- Dr. King Day of Service returns (WISH-TV 8)
- Pence, Brackett join service projects along MLK drive to mark holiday (WIBC.com)
- Gov. Mike Pence and Gary Brackett are celebrating the life of Martin Luther King, Jr. (FOX-TV 59)
- Celebrate the life and legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr. (Indianapolis Recorder)
- Former Colts player headlines Indiana MLK event (WTHR-TV 13)
Among the many things Dr. King was known for was his great commitment to serving the community. To honor his passion for service, the Indiana Civil Rights Commission organized their second annual MLK Day of Service which took place last Friday. The King Day of Service brought together dozens of volunteers to work on various projects on and around Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Street in Indianapolis.
Partners for the MLK Day of Service included:
- Indiana Black Expo, Inc.
- The City of Indianapolis
- Indy Parks
- The Flanner House
- Watkins Park Family Center
Click here for more information on Dr. King projects and programs statewide.
Indiana Civil Rights Commission
The Indiana Civil Rights Commission enforces Indiana Civil Rights Laws and provides education and services to the public in an effort to ensure equal opportunity for all Hoosiers and visitors to the State of Indiana.