Header

  Close Menu

Index Descriptions

CategoryIndexDescription
Attorney General's OfficeAttorney General FilesThe case files and correspondence of the Attorney General records indexed here date from 1932-1972. These records contain correspondence, notes, and frequently copies of briefs presented during trials. Not all types of materials will be found in every file. Subjects include prisoners seeking early release, the Coliseum Explosion, IURC, and PSC cases, opinions regarding laws and other legal matters for state agencies. Other Attorney General collections are available that may supplement these materials, or cover earlier and later time periods as well. For more information please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov
Auditor of State's OfficeArticles of AssociationAccording to the Acts of Indiana, Chapter 127, approved March 9, 1901, all corporations were required to file a copy of its Articles of Association and by-laws with the Auditor of State's Office, in addition to the Secretary of State's Office. This was repealed in 1929 under Chapter 215 of the Acts of Indiana. Records in this collection may also be found in the Secretary of State Corporation files. For more information or to obtain copies, email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
ChildrenBSC Inspection FilesThe Board of State Charities was the oversight agency responsible for the supervision and licensing of Orphanage, Maternity Homes, Boarding Homes, and Sanitariums. These licensing files may contain correspondence, newspaper clippings, inspection reports, and rarely photos. Only two homes contain student rosters. This collection is particularly useful for locating orphanages and facilities responsible for children and expectant mothers. Though personal information regarding the children is not typically available the files can inform as to the condition and circumstances in which the children lived. For copies or further information, please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov
ChildrenCass County BCGThis database consists of records gleaned from reports microfilmed by the Board of State Charities, concerning the Board of Children’s Guardian’s Home for Cass County, Indiana. (Roll 4761) Children’s names as well as other family members are often noted. For the sake of privacy, the notes field is not included in the online version. If you would like to order copies or request further research, please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
ChildrenCass County Orphan's HomeThis database consists of records gleaned from reports microfilmed by the Board of State Charities, concerning the Cass County Orphan’s Home. Information frequently includes the child’s name, their parents, and other details. For the sake of privacy the notes field is not included in the online version. Of the two rolls available roll 4758 covers 1923-1931 and is currently included in this index. An earlier set of records 4757 covers 1890-1923, and will be indexed and added at a later date. If you would like to order copies or request further research, please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
ChildrenFoster ChildrenThe Foster Children collection spans from 1892 to 1910 and is comprised of files from the Children's Home Society (Group 1) and the Board of State Charities (Group2.) The files primarily include the inspection reports completed by either a State Agent or foster parent regarding the progress of a foster child. Some files include only one slip of paper, while others are quite large and may contain multiple reports and correspondence from the child or family. Patrons should email arc@iara.in.gov to inquire about the contents of individual files.
ChildrenFoster Children ApplicationsThe Foster Parent Application collection ranges from approximately 1897-1933. These records are an excellent companion to the Foster Children Files. In fact, other applications are often found within the Foster Children Files, and may be absent from this collection, so it is recommended that one use both databases together. Applicants were not always permitted to foster a child, but when possible and a child was placed in the home, names of the children and dates of placement are included. For more information, or to order copies, please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
ChildrenGrant County BCGThe records for the Grant County Board of Children’s Guardians range from 1887-1977. For the purpose of confidentiality, the online database ends at 1945. The index is based upon a card index, and a set of student files. Other material may be available, depending upon the time the child was in the Home. For more information, or to request copies, please email an archivist at iara.in.gov.
ChildrenJulia WorkThe Julia E. Work Training School opened in 1891 as the Northern Indiana Orphan's Home at LaPorte, Indiana. The facility moved in 1899 to Plymouth, Marshall County, Indiana, where it was renamed the Julia E. Work Training School. Unlike the LaPorte Facility, which cared for dependent children, most children at the Julia E. Work Training School were sent there by juvenile courts. The facility closed in 1939. The Registers of Inmates and Entrants (Original Accession 1985023), indexed here, contain the child's age, the names of parents, and to whom the child was released. All information was transcribed, however, microfilm of the registers is available in the Archives' Reading Room. Researchers should also check the foster children index on the Digital Archives, as many of these children spent time in Indiana's foster care system. 
ChildrenMarion County BCGThe Marion County Board of Children’s Guardians began in 1889. Their mission was to protect and care for children whose families had fallen on hard times, or been abandoned or mistreated by their parents. This database consists of records for children either under supervision, investigation, or the care of the Board from 1889-1941. There are a variety of records, including indices, case histories and summary cards. Family information is frequently available, as is a summary of the issues that led to the Boards involvement with the children. Records typically include the child’s name, as well as the parents, and siblings. Notes are often of a personal nature, and by today’s principles, possibly offensive, and include outdated terminology and social standards. Information regarding other agencies or institutions to which the child was committed are also noted. Later records are available, but are not included in this database for confidential reasons. Questions or requests for copies of the records should be directed to an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
ChildrenUnion County BCGThis small database for the Board of Children's Guardian's Home Union County, was compiled from the Minute book of the Board. When possible children's names, as well as their parents are included. Approximate birthdates and notes regarding their family and need for placement are included. To obtain copies, please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
ChildrenWayne County BCGRecord books for the Wayne County Board of Children’s Guardian’s Home range from 1907-1936.  Records typically include the child’s name, as well as the parents. Notes are often of a personal nature, and by today’s standards, possibly offensive. Historical records should always be view in the context and times in which they were written. Information regarding other agencies or institutions to which the child was committed are also noted. Questions or requests for copies of the records should be directed to an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
Coroner's InquestsMarion CountyThe Marion County Coroner’s Inquest Collection consists of paper records between 1826-1895.  The county field typically refers to the home county of the person named, not to an inquest from another county. This collection can be used as a companion to the Marion County Coroner books within Accession 2013028. For more information, or to order copies, email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
Coroner's InquestsVigo County The Vigo County Coroner’s Inquest consists of paper records between 1879-1990 for Vigo County. The county field typically refers to the home county of the person named, not to an inquest from another county. The collection does not appear to be complete but contains more than 15,000 names, and includes dates and causes of death. For more information or to order copies, email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
CourtInquestsThis collection contains inquests held in various county courts to determine if an individual should be committed to a state institution. Dates range from 1848 and into the late 20th century, depending upon the county in question. This online version of the database stops with 1945. Please contact an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov for further information or to order copies. 
County Court RecordsMarion County “Loft” (multiple tables)These Marion County court cases were transferred from a location known as the Loft. They date from about 1818 to 1930 and include many different kinds of cases, including estates, business transactions, guardianships, civil, common pleas, and criminal cases. Courts range from Appellate, Board of Commissioners of Marion County, Circuit Court, Common Council, Common Pleas, Criminal Court, District, Justice of the Peace, Mayor’s Court, Probate, and the Superior Court. These in no way include all cases, but nearly 125,000 names have been indexed in this database. For additional questions or to order copies, please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
County Court RecordsMarion County WillsThe Marion County Wills collection consists of wills filed in Marion County from 1822-1989. The collection is not complete, but does contain the original wills of more than 19,000 decedents.  These should be used as a supplement to the Marion County Will Books and other probate record books, which are available online at Family Search.com in a Family Search affiliate location such as the State Archives, State Library, or LDS Family History Center. For questions, or to order copies, email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov
County Court RecordsMarshall County CourtThe Marshall County Court Records include Criminal Court records from 1870-1945 in Marshall County, Indiana. Though the collection is probably not complete the database contains nearly 18,000 names of participants, ranging from defendants, plaintiffs, and witnesses. For questions about the files, or to order copies please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov
County Court RecordsPosey County Court (4-5 tables)Early court records from Posey County were indexed with the aid of an Indiana Heritage Research Grant, with Friends of the Archives volunteers later adding many additional records. The collection includes such documents as writs, summons, transcripts, declarations, depositions, affidavits, and verdicts which pertain to the litigation between early Posey County residents. The bulk of the collection dates between 1815 and 1855, but some records as late as 1940 are also included. For questions or information regarding ordering copies, please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov
County RecordsMonroe County WPA IndexThe State Unemployment Relief Commission administered WPA-funded relief programs through county offices. This is an index to those who received support in Monroe County.
Department of CorrectionBoy’s SchoolThe Indiana Boys' School was created by the 1867 Indiana General Assembly as the House of Refuge for Juvenile Offenders. This index was compiled from admission registers, inmate packets, commitment books, and other sources. The inmate's name, number, county of conviction and date received at the Boys' School have been entered in the index. Additional information is available at the Archives for many of the boys, including commitment books, inmate packets, and medical record cards. This index ends in 1937; please contact the Archives for inmates who were admitted after this date.
Department of CorrectionGirls’ SchoolThe Indiana Girls' School was created in 1899 as the Indiana Industrial School for Girls. Before the creation of the institution, juvenile female offenders were housed with adult female inmates at the Reform School for Girls and Women's Prison in Indianapolis. This is an index of admissions dating from 1873 to 1945.  Information shown here includes the girl's name, age, the county from which she was committed, and the date of admission. Additional information is available at the Archives for many of the girls, including commitment papers, inmate packets, personal letters, and sometimes photographs. For the sake of privacy, the online version of this index ends in 1945; please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov for inmates who were admitted after this date, or to obtain copies of records found in this database.
Department of CorrectionLifer StatementsThe Indiana Life Prisoner Books were created by the Board of State Charities in the early 1900s. Each life prisoner was given the opportunity to tell his story. The men often named family members and others involved in the crime for which they were sentenced, and discussed whether or not attempts had been made to secure a parole or pardon. There are two volumes of statements. An accompanying photo album is available that features the portrait half of the prisoner's mug shot. Some prisoners only have a photograph, while others only have a statement. Most have both. Researchers should also check the Indiana State Prison database to determine if any prison packets or other files or mugshots were kept for the prisoner. For questions, or to order copies, please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
Department of CorrectionState FarmThe State Farm was built in 1914 and 1915 by prisoners from the State Prison and Reformatory for the purpose of housing male misdemeanants. It opened officially n April 12, 1915 as an industrial farm colony, meaning that the prisoners farmed the land for their own sustenance and income for the state. men over the age of sixteen convicted of misdemeanors could be sentenced to the State Farm rather than a county jail or workhouse. This is an index to the packets that survive. More information may be found in reports of the Board of State Charities, found at the Archives.
Department of CorrectionState Prison Michigan City 1897-1945  online 1966When the State Prison South was converted to a Reformatory, older prisoners were sent to the Northern prison. At this time, all prisoners were assigned new numbers and mug shots were taken. Although many early records were only sampled, there may be more information at the Archives about these prisoners, including an offender or warden packet, inmate record book, and possibly a mug shot. The online version of this data base ends in 1945, but other datasets are available for later prisoners committed to the State Prison and the Reception Diagnostic Center. Records containing medical information will be treated as confidential. Names of prisoners admitted to this facility before 1897 can be found in the State Prison North index. For more information, please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
Department of CorrectionState Prison North 1858-1897Due to overcrowded conditions at the State Prison in southern Indiana, a second state prison was established at Michigan City, Indiana, in 1858 for prisoners from northern Indiana. In 1897, the new facility became the sole State Prisoner when the Prison South was converted to a Reformatory . Older prisoners from Prison South were sent to the Michigan City facility, which necessitated a new numbering system. Names of prisoners admitted to this facility after 1897 will be found in the State Prison Michigan City index.
Department of CorrectionState Prison-Jeffersonville 1822-1897The first state prison opened in Indiana in 1822 in Jeffersonville, and housed both men and women, until the Women's Prison opened. After the opening of the State Prison North at Michigan City in 1858, the Prison South took only inmates from the southern half of Indiana. in 1897, State Prison South was converted to a Reformatory, and the older prisoners and those accused of more serious crimes were sent to the Northern prison. This database derives from  an index to the Descriptive Books of the Prison. Book A no longer exists, but microfilm copies of books B through L are available. If you would like to order copies or have any questions, please contact an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
Department of CorrectionState Reformatory 1898-1926State Prison South was converted into the Indiana Reformatory in 1897 when it was decided to create a more positive environment for younger prisoners accused of less serious offense, but too old for the Boys' School. This reorganization resulted in prisoners over the age of thirty, or those with previous felonies or a capital offense, being sent to the northern facility at Michigan City. The southern prison became a reformatory with rehabilitation as the chief objective for prisoners aged sixteen through thirty. This index was created from an inmate register book dating from 1897 to 1926. All information was transcribed, however the Archives may have additional information for these men, as well as those admitted after 1926. For questions, please contact an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
Department of CorrectionWomen’s PrisonThe Indiana Women's Prison opened in Indianapolis on October 8, 1873. The first seventeen inmates were brought from the State Prison South at Jeffersonville, where they had been housed in a separate wing from male inmates.  Known initially as the Indiana Reformatory Institution for Women and Girls, the name changed in 1889 to the Reform School for girls and Women's Prison. Ten years later, the two departments were separated into the Industrial School for Girls and the Indiana Women's Prison. In 1907, juvenile female offenders were moved to the newly opened Indiana Girls' School. This index was compiled from inmate record books and contains the names of women committed to the Women's Prison between 1873 and 1969. More information about these women, including admission cards, commitment papers, and photographs, may be available at the Archives. For more information, or to order copies, please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
EducationBall Memorial School of Nursing- 2012225Ball Memorial School of Nursing was incorporated in 1907 as the Muncie Home Hospital Training School for Nurses, and later changed its name to Ball Memorial Hospital Training School for Nurses (1929) and the Ball Memorial Hospital School of Nursing (1944). The last class graduated in 1967. When a nursing school closed, the Indiana State Board sometimes arranged for the transfer of student records to the Indiana State Archives. Names appearing here were compiled from  student records and from lists of graduates appearing in school publications. The database includes the names of both graduates and students who enrolled but withdrew before completing the program. Students who withdrew have the letters “WD” or a notation of having withdrawn in the notes field or class notes field. Whenever possible, both the maiden name and married name of a student was entered into the database. Because of federal and state confidentiality requirements, access to student records less than seventy-five years old requires the consent of the student or next-of-kin. The online version of this database ends at 1945, however, one may contact the Archives for more information, by emailing arc@iara.in.gov.
EducationBlind SchoolThe Indiana School for the Blind and Visually Impaired opened in 1847 as the Indiana School for the Blind. This index was created from a set of Admission Books and Annual Reports. It is not all inclusive. For the purpose of privacy, the online index ends at 1945. If you have questions about a student, or need your own records from the school, please contact an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov. Student files may exist for more recent students.  
EducationBloomington Hospital School of Nursing- 2011541Bloomington Hospital School of Nursing opening as the Bloomington Hospital Nurses' Training School in 1906 and closed in 1946. When a nursing school closed, the Indiana State Board sometimes arranged for the transfer of student records to the Indiana State Archives. Names appearing here were compiled from  student records and from lists of graduates appearing in school publications. The database includes the names of both graduates and students who enrolled but withdrew before completing the program. Students who withdrew have the letters “WD” or a notation of having withdrawn in the notes field or class notes field. Whenever possible, both the maiden name and married name of a student was entered into the database. Because of federal and state confidentiality requirements, access to student records less than seventy-five years old requires the consent of the student or next-of-kin. The online version of this database ends at 1945, however, one may contact the Archives for more information, by emailing arc@iara.in.gov.
EducationCanterburyThe college was founded in 1876.The school was located in Ladoga, Indiana, but was moved to Danville, Indiana in 1878. The school taught traditional college courses, but primarily focused on training teachers. In 1942 the school buildings were taken over by the Northern Diocese of the Episcopal Church and the college was renamed Canterbury College, but it continued as a normal school until closing in 1951 due to bankruptcy. This index was created from a set of over 14,000 student index cards, ranging from 1878-1951. In all, over 75,000 students attended, so only a portion of the students are represented here. Contact an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov if you have questions.
EducationDeaf School Admissions"The Indiana School for the Deaf Admission Registers begin in October 1844 and end in September 1988. For privacy reasons this database does not include anyone discharged after 1945. Contact an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov for information regarding later students.  Additional information, such as applications for admission and individual student files, may be available."
EducationDeaf School ApplicationsThis collection of Applications for the Indiana School for the Dear range from 1850-1983. Not all students will have an application in this group of records, as many are found in the students' individual files. Only applications dated 1945 or earlier are represented in this online database for confidentiality reasons. Please feel free to contact an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov, for later applications and student files, or to order copies. 
EducationElkhart General Hospital School for Nurses 2011542Elkhart General Hospital School for Nurses opened in 1899 as Clark Hospital Training School. It closed in 1933. For more information, or copies of records, please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
EducationGood Samaritan Hospital School of Nursing- 2010624The Good Samaritan Hospital School of Nursing opened in Vincennes, Indiana in 1908 and closed in 1933. It closed in 1933. For more information, or copies of records, please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
EducationHoly Cross Central School of Nursing South Bend-2012065The Holy Cross Central School of Nursing opened in South Bend, Indiana in 1950 as a merger between three nursing schools operated by the Sisters of the Holy Cross and with St. Joseph's Hospital School of Nursing. In 1969, the name was changed to Holy Cross School of Nursing. It closed in 1975. Because of federal and state confidentiality requirements, access to student records less than seventy-five years old requires the consent of the student or next-of-kin. For this reason it does not appear online. The student or next-of-kin may contact the Archives for more information, by emailing arc@iara.in.gov.
EducationIndiana Christian Hospital School of Nursing- 2001441Indiana Christian Hospital School of Nursing opened in Indianapolis in 1899 as the Protestant Deaconess Hospital School for Nurses. It closed in 1932. For more information, or copies of records, please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
EducationIndiana Soldiers' and Sailors' Children's HomeThe Indiana Soldiers' and Sailors' Children's Home was founded in 1865 in Knightstown to care for the  children of Civil War Union Army veterans. Veteran's children from all subsequent wars have been eligible for admission, until the Home's closure in 2009. This is an index to seven sets of records from the Indiana Soldiers' and Sailor's Children's Home. These are: Applications for Admission, Admission Books, Discharge Books, Discharge Cards, School Record Cards, Indenture Papers, and the 1909 Catalog of Pupils published by the Home. Not all records are available for every child. Names of children admitted after October 1995 are not included in this index for reasons of privacy. Student educational records and social service case files are confidential and open only with the consent of the student or guardian. 
EducationLaura A. Kingdig School of Nursing-2012003The Laura A. Kindig School of Nursing opened in Goshen in 1909 as the Goshen Hospital Training School for Nurses. The name was later changed to the Laura A. Kindig Seminary for Nurses. It closed in 1938. For more information, or copies of records, please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
EducationMemorial Hospital School of Nursing, South Bend -2008543Memorial Hospital School of Nursing opened in South Bend in 1894 as Epworth Hospital and Training School. It closed in 1988. Because of federal and state confidentiality requirements, access to student records less than seventy-five years old requires the consent of the student or next-of-kin. The online version of this database ends at 1945, however, one may contact the Archives for more information, by emailing arc@iara.in.gov.
EducationSaint Joseph’s Hospital School of Nursing South Bend- 2012066Saint Joseph's Hospital School of Nursing opened in South Bend in 1907 and graduated its last class in 1952. In 1950, it merged with the Sisters of the Holy Cross to form Holy Cross Central School of Nursing. Because of federal and state confidentiality requirements, access to student records less than seventy-five years old requires the consent of the student or next-of-kin. The online version of this database ends at 1945, however, one may contact the Archives for more information, by emailing arc@iara.in.gov.
EducationSaint Vincent’s Hospital School of Nursing -2016224Saint Vincent's School of Nursing records range from 1910 to 1970. Because of federal and state confidentiality requirements, access to student records less than seventy-five years old requires the consent of the student or next-of-kin. The online version of this database ends at 1945, however, one may contact the Archives for more information, by emailing arc@iara.in.gov.
EducationUnion Hospital School of Nursing-2012045Union Hospital School of Nursing opened in Terre Haute in 1900 as the Union Hospital Training School for Nurses. It closed in 1965. Because of federal and state confidentiality requirements, access to student records less than seventy-five years old requires the consent of the student or next-of-kin. The online version of this database ends at 1945, however, one may contact the Archives for more information, by emailing arc@iara.in.gov.
EducationWelborn Memorial Baptist Hospital School of Nursing -2012021The Welborn memorial Baptist Hospital School of Nursing opened in Evansville in 1914 as the Walker Hospital Training School for Nurses. It closed in 1955. Because of federal and state confidentiality requirements, access to student records less than seventy-five years old requires the consent of the student or next-of-kin. The online version of this database ends at 1945, however, one may contact the Archives for more information, by emailing arc@iara.in.gov.
EducationWishard Hospital School of Nursing- 2005385Wishard Hospital School of Nursing opened in Indianapolis in 1883 as Flower Mission Training School for Nurses. It went through several name changes, including Indianapolis City Hospital Training School for Nurses (1897), Indianapolis General Hospital School of Nursing (1947), Marion County General Hospital School of Nursing (1959) and finally Wishard Memorial Hospital School of Nursing (1975). Closed in 1980. Because of federal and state confidentiality requirements, access to student records less than seventy-five years old requires the consent of the student or next-of-kin. The online version of this database ends at 1945, however, one may contact the Archives for more information, by emailing arc@iara.in.gov.
Land OfficeCrawfordsvilleIn order to accurately measure and describe individual tracts of land, the federal government worked out a pattern of surveys using the rectangular land system. Land was laid off in survey townships six miles square, and each township was subdivided into sections one mile square, or 640 acres, which could then be divided into smaller lots. Once surveys were completed, land could be put up for sale at district land offices. The Land Office at Terre Haute opened in 1820 and moved to Crawfordsville in 1823. It handled sales of land in all of part of the present-day counties of Benton, Boone, Carroll, Clay, Clinton, Fountain, Hendricks, Monroe, Montgomery, Morgan, Owen, Parke, Putnam, Tippecanoe, Vermillion, Warren, and White. The Terre Haute-Crawfordsville Land Office closed in 1853 and all unsold lands were attached to the Indianapolis Land Office. This index to the tract books and registers of receipts includes information about both the land and purchaser.
Land OfficeFort Wayne LandsIn order to accurately measure and describe individual tracts of land, the federal government worked out a pattern of surveys using the rectangular land system. Land was laid off in survey townships six miles square, and each township was subdivided into sections one mile square, or 640 acres, which could then be divided into smaller lots. Once surveys were completed, land could be put up for sale at district land offices. The Land Office in Fort Wayne opened in 1823. It sold lands in all or part of the present-day counties of Adams, Allen, Blackford, Cass, Clinton, DeKalb, Delaware, Grant, Howard, Huntington, Jay, Kosciusko, Lagrange, Madison, Miami, Noble, Randolph, Steuben, Tipton, Wabash, Wells, and Whitley. The final sales were in 1852 and all unsold lands were attached to the Indianapolis Land Office. This index to the tract books and registers of receipts includes information about both the land and purchaser.
Land OfficeIndiana Public LandsIn order to accurately measure and describe individual tracts of land, the federal government worked out a pattern of surveys using the rectangular land system. Land was laid off in survey townships six miles square, and each township was subdivided into sections one mile square, or 640 acres, which could then be divided into smaller lots. Once surveys were completed, land could be put up for sale at district land offices. This database contains entries from the following four Land Offices. The first land office in Indiana opened in 1807 at Vincennes. The Terre Haute Crawfordsville land office opened in 1820 and moved to Crawfordsville in 1823. The Fort Wayne office opened in 1823. The Land Office at LaPorte opened in 1833 and moved to Winamac in 1839.  For more information on the Land Offices please visit our Land Records web page at  https://www.in.gov/iara/divisions/state-archives/collections/land-records/    All Records have been transcribed, however, please direct questions to arc@iara.in.gov. 
Land OfficeLaPorte-Winamac LandsIn order to accurately measure and describe individual tracts of land, the federal government worked out a pattern of surveys using the rectangular land system. Land was laid off in survey townships six miles square, and each township was subdivided into sections one mile square, or 640 acres, which could then be divided into smaller lots. Once surveys were completed, land could be put up for sale at district land offices. The Land Office at LaPorte opened in 1833 and moved to Winamac in 1839. It sold lands in all of part of the present-day counties of Benton, Carroll, Cass, Elkhart, Fulton, Howard, Jasper, Kosciusko, Lake, LaPorte, Marshall, Miami, Newton, Porter, Pulaski, St. Joseph, Starke, Wabash, and White. Prior to the creation of this district, a significant portion of its lands had been offered for sale in the Fort Wayne and Crawfordsville offices. Sales at LaPorte-Winamac ended in 1855 and unsold lands were attached to the Indianapolis Land Office. This index to the tract books and registers of receipts includes information about both the land and purchaser.
Land OfficeVincennesIn order to accurately measure and describe individual tracts of land, the federal government worked out a pattern of surveys using the rectangular land system. Land was laid off in survey townships six miles square, and each township was subdivided into sections one mile square, or 640 acres, which could then be divided into smaller lots. Once surveys were completed, land could be put up for sale at district land offices. The first Land Office in Indiana opened in 1807 at Vincennes. It sold lands in all or part of the present-day counties of Clay, Crawford, Dubois, Daviess, Gibson, Greene, Harrison, Knox, Lawrence, Martin, Monroe, Orange, Owen, Parke, Perry, Pike, Posey, Putnam, Spencer, Sullivan, Vanderburgh, Vermillion, Vigo, and Warrick. Sales were discontinued in 1861 and unsold lands were attached to the Indianapolis Land Office. This index to the tract books and registers of receipts includes information about both the land and purchaser.
MilitaryBook of MeritThe Book of Merit Awards and Citations Collection contains the original material used to publish the Indiana Book of Merit, which honored the men and women who received decorations and commendations for service in World War I. There may be more information about the veteran at the Archives, including photographs. Please email arc@iara.in.gov
MilitaryCivil WarThe muster rolls of Indiana's infantry, cavalry, and battery units were originally indexed from 1913 to 1917 to assist soldiers and sailors in obtaining their pensions. Volunteers have transcribed a portion of the cards for this searchable index. There may be additional details on the card, such as height, weight, complexion. Family names are not included. For a complete description of other Civil War related holdings, please visit https://www.in.gov/iara/2521.htm. 
MilitaryEarly MilitaryThe Early Military Records index is a compilation of records of the Indiana Territorial Militia and the Indiana State Militia. Also known as Indiana Rangers, Indiana Militia, and the Indiana Legion, the organization would finally become known as the Indiana National Guard. The index contains the names of early Hoosier soldiers who participated in the Battle of Tippecanoe, the War of 1812, and the Black Hawk War. Officers appointed to the Indiana State Militia during times of peace are also listed throughout the early part of the 19th century, and frequently mirror those found in the Mexican War and Civil War indexes. Two of the main sources of information were appointment books for commissioned officers, therefore, non-commissioned officers and privates are not well represented. All information has been transcribed, but should you have questions, please contact an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
MilitaryGold Star Honor RollThe Gold Star Collection comprises the original material solicited from families by the Indiana Historical Commission to publish the Gold Star Honor Roll, 1914-1918. The volume honored men and women who died in World War I. These original files often contain more information and the full size photographs used to create the published book. These are typically arranged alphabetically within the county of residence. For more information, or to obtain copies, please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov. 
MilitaryIndiana Militia 1877-1896This is an alphabetical index by name. Information given includes name, rank, unit and unit location. Date of muster, age, and occupation are included when available. Transcribed from an early card index.
MilitaryIndiana National Guard 1898-1940The Indiana National Guard began in 1801. The enlistment papers and cards of soldiers who entered service between 1898 and 1940 have been indexed. For records of National Guardsmen after 1940, please contact the Indiana Adjutant General's Office. 
MilitaryMexican WarThe Mexican War index was created from the alphabetical card file created for five Indiana Volunteer Regiments. The information given includes name, rank, muster in and muster out dates. All available information was transcribed.
MilitaryNational Guard 1898-1940The Indiana National Guard began in 1801. The enlistment papers and cards of soldiers who entered service between 1898 and 1940 have been indexed. For records of National Guardsmen after 1940, please contact the Indiana Adjutant General's Office. 
MilitarySpanish American WarThis card index was originally created by the Adjutant General's office to readily verify information for soldiers applying for pensions, and was recently transcribed by an Archives' volunteer. The Index to the Muster Rolls includes name, unit, rank, age, birthplace, occupation and muster dates. Physical descriptions were not transcribed, but patrons may request a copy of the card by emailing arc@iara.in.gov. 
MilitaryUnited Spanish War VeteransThe United Spanish War Veterans was created in 1904 by the merger of three smaller groups of Spanish American War veterans. The Indiana Department was created the same year. At its peak, there were over ninety camps (posts) in towns across the state. The USWV national headquarters closed in 1998. Records of the Indiana Department are housed at the Indiana State Archives. Membership files for the Indiana Department contain applications, membership information, pension correspondence, death notices, and often information regarding spouses and widows. The database indicates whether records for the veteran exist in either a file (Accession 2008092) or an index card (Accession 1988029), or both.
MilitaryVeteran's Home RecordsThe Indiana Veterans' Home opened at its current Lafayette, IN location in 1896 for veterans and their spouses. The home had originally started in Indianapolis in 1865, and later moved to Knightstown, IN. The home closed after a major fire, which resulted in the veterans being temporarily located in Dayton, Ohio, until the new home was built. The veteran did not have to serve in an Indiana regiment to be admitted to the home. The member's packets, indexed here, frequently include applications, family information, and burial and death notices. For more information or to request copies, please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
NaturalizationsMost CountiesIn the nineteenth century and most of the twentieth century, naturalization was a three step process. First, one declared intention to naturalize, then petitioned for naturalization, and lastly, received a certificate or a court order granting citizenship. Please note that many immigrants never completed the full process. In the nineteenth century, many states allowed their residents to buy land, work, and vote without obtaining full citizenship.  During the late 1920's through 1950's county level naturalizations phased out and the process was taken over by Federal Courts. These records do not include records found in  An Index to Naturalization Records In pre-1907 Order Books of Indiana County Courts. With some exceptions, the documents indexed in this book are located within the county and books indicated. Adams county Naturalizations date from 1854-1957. To obtain copies of these documents, please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov for copy fees and ordering instructions. 
ProfessionsMarion County Bar AssociationThis database contains an index of over 8,700 attorneys admitted to practice law in the courts of Marion County, Indiana, between September 1822 and early 1980. The list was transcribed from a register (Accession 2003211) originally maintained by the Marion County Clerk. Admissions before 1932 were recorded in the order books of the Marion County Circuit, Common Pleas, and Superior Courts. If one wishes to view the complete record, the court order book and page number are provided in this index. Marion County court order books are typically held by the Marion County Archives microfilm department. Alternative sources such as microfilm may be available at the Archives or the State Library. Digital images of some court records are available at FamilySearch.org. For assistance locating records, contact the Marion County Archives. Indiana State Archives staff members may be able to provide some guidance, depending upon the court and date of record. Email arc@iara.in.gov for additional assistance.
ProfessionsMarion County EmployeesThe Marion County Public Safety Commission collection is an index of the personnel record of Indianapolis police officers and firefighters of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The personnel records include some basic biographical information and often a photograph. These records have been digitized by the Indianapolis Public Library and can be viewed in their entirety on DigitalIndy.org. Copies of the records can be obtained at the Indiana State Archives. 
ProfessionsOptometristsThis small set of Optometrist Licensing Files contains only 365 records. There are no last names beginning with the letter A. The files were created between 1930 and 1953. For privacy reasons records after 1945 are not included in the online version of this database. Please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov with additional questions or to obtain copies. 
ProfessionsMarion County Employees IIThe Marion County Public Safety Commission collection is an index of the personnel records of Indianapolis police officers and firefighters, as well as Taxi Drivers for Marion County from 1922 to approximately 1955. These files typically include applications and other correspondence regarding the employee. Only ten percent of the files will contain a photograph. To obtain copies or for questions regarding the collection, please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
ProfessionsPharmacistsOn March 1, 1899, the Indiana Legislature passed an Act that required all pharmacists to be registered and approved by the Indiana Board of Pharmacy. This is an index to the surviving applications for those licenses. The earliest applications begin around 1908 and a few extend as late as the 1970s. Earlier records were destroyed in a fire. Additional registration books are available at the archives, which provide some details about applications during the years 1899 to 1928. There is a variety of information for each applicant. For the sake of privacy this online database ends at 1945. For copies of records, please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov
Secretary of State's OfficeDissolved CorporationsSince 1851, businesses formed under the laws of the state of Indiana have been required to file articles of incorporation with the Indiana Secretary of State. After 1889, this included not for profit societies, associations and clubs, and often religious, charitable and benevolent corporations as well. Whenever a private corporation dissolved, the paperwork was moved to an inactive file. Inactive files up to the 1960s were transferred to the Indiana State Archives, and are in the process of being indexed here. Contact the Archives to inquire about corporations that might not have been indexed yet; for more recent corporations after 1970, please contact the Secretary of State's Office. 
Secretary of State's OfficePetitions for Pardons and ParolesCitizens frequently wrote to the governor attempting to gain pardons, paroles, reprieves, commutations of sentences, or remissions of fines for crimes ranging from swearing to murder. The petitions were filed by the Secretary of State.  Files may consist of as little as one page or several folders.  They include letters of support, condemnation, petitions, articles, and are an invaluable resource. For questions or to obtain copies, please email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov.
Secretary of State's OfficeTrademarksThese trademarks, filed in Indiana between 1888 and 1983, include products ranging from food and drink to machinery and medication. Not all Trademarks have been added to the database, so feel free to email an archivist at arc@iara.in.gov for more information or to obtain copies of files. 
State HospitalsState Hospital InquestsAn act of 1818 gave circuit courts in Indiana the authority to conduct mental health inquests and appoint guardians for individuals judged insane. Later acts gave courts the power to commit such person to state hospitals. Over time, inquest paperwork became increasingly detailed with long lists of questions about the individuals and detailed statements offered by examining physicians. This index includes 25,000 inquests transferred at the closure of Central State Hospital, as well as inquests transferred from several counties, which include commitments to other state hospitals. As more inquests are received, they will be added to this index.
Supreme CourtSupreme Court RecordsThe Supreme Court index is an ongoing project that includes cleaning, flattening, mending, and finally indexing the Supreme Court cases. These historic cases involve freedom suits, Native American land claims, family law, railroads, numerous criminal appeals, and  various legal disputes. Check back frequently, as more records are added regularly. Some records, particularly 20th century cases may require additional conservation. It is always a good idea to send an email to arc@iara.in.gov inquiring about the case. This will give archivists an opportunity to see if the case will need any further treatment.  If you are looking for a court case not found in this index, please contact the Archives staff.
Supreme CourtTerritorial Supreme Court Court Order BooksThe Territorial Court Order Books document the very beginning of the Supreme Court in Indiana, prior to statehood. The entries date from 1801 to 1816.
Veteran Grave RegistrationsMany Counties"The Works Progress Administration (WPA), in cooperation with the American Legion, created a card index in the late 1930s listing the name and burial information for Indiana's veterans. The cards were completed for 51 counties. The information and card type often varies from county to county and card to card. Patrons may email arc@iara.in.gov for a copy of the card for a small fee, however, all information has been transcribed in this index. Related cemetery plat maps and name lists are available, however, these only include veterans' graves."