Language Translation
  Close Menu

Transferring Records to State Archives

Before sending records to the State Archives, a state agency's records coordinator should

  • verify that the records are approved for transfer to the Indiana Archives on the Records Retention Schedule which applies to that record type
  • contact the State Archives (317-591-5222 or to describe the materials involved, and determine what steps to take for the transfer.


Records sent to the State Archives should be packed in IARA Records Storage Boxes (State Form 46634) with lids. Both new and used boxes may be ordered from the State Records Center:

In general, the Archives accepts mostly paper records, as well as photographs and negatives, books, architectural drawings, blueprints, maps, etc., and records on microform, such as microfilm and microfiche. Records on other media, such as magnetic tapes or computer diskettes, are dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Procedures for transferring these records, or for records that cannot be packed in standard boxes with lids, should be arranged on an individual basis with State Archives staff.


Each reel of microfilm must be in an individual acid-free box and each box must be labeled properly. The reel boxes should be placed in lidded boxes with the labels facing up and in the same direction. A copy of State Form 52408, Microfilm Transmittal and Receipt (file is in pdf format) should be filled out and submitted to the State Archives. Please contact State Archives staff for additional instructions before sending the form or transferring any microfilm.


Before sending electronic records to the State Archives, a state agency's records coordinator should contact the Electronic Records Specialist by phone at 317-232-3380 or by email at to ascertain the extent of the materials and discuss options for facilitating the transfer.

Agencies transferring digital records may refer to the Electronic Records Guidance page for further information.


Each box transferred to the State Archives must be properly labeled, either on the front or on paper permanently attached to the box, as follows:

  1. Agency name
  2. Agency division
  3. Record series title
  4. Record series number
  5. Box number out of total number of boxes

For example, if the Indiana Department of Environmental Management transferred thirteen boxes to the State Archives, the label for box ten would read:

Air Pollution
General Files
RS: 83-409
Box 10 of 13

NOTE: Each individual record series should be boxed separately.


After the records are properly boxed and labeled, the Agency Records Coordinator should fill out State Form 48883, State Archives Record Transmittal And Receipt Form.

  • NOTE: A separate SF48883 should be used for each record series number.

In addition to externally labeling the boxes, agencies should make a full inventory of the records involved which can be used to confirm and verify what materials have been sent to the State Archives. An inventory should include a list of the folders, objects, and/or microfilm rolls enclosed within each box (an Excel spreadsheet often works well for this). Please also include the name and telephone number of the person making the transfer. Questions about creating an inventory may be directed to State Archives staff.

NOTE: If records are transferred from the Records Center to the State Archives, a State Form 16, Records Destruction Notification is sent to the Records Coordinator (file is in pdf format). The Coordinator is given six weeks to respond to the SF16, and can request that the records be maintained longer in the Records Center if necessary. After approval, or if six weeks go by with no response, the records are transferred to the Archives where they are processed according to the retention schedule.


After transfer, the State Archives staff will process the records according to the retention schedule. Some records may be thinned or sampled according to archival criteria, while others will be kept in their entirety. Archives staff will provide a copy of the accession report upon request. For this or any other questions regarding an agency’s records at the State Archives, please contact The State Archives full catalog can also be searched at