Electronic Records Program
The Indiana Archives and Records Administration's Electronic Records Program provides guidelines and policy for State and local governments to aid in effective electronic records management in accordance with four core attributes as defined by the National Archives and Records Administration: Authenticity; Reliability; Integrity; Usability.
Please take a moment to browse through the resources below or contact us at email@example.com.
Electronic Records Guidance
- IARA Electronic Records Guidelines
- Recommended Capabilities for Electronic Recordkeeping Systems
- Library of Congress PDF/A article
Guidance Specific to Email
- Webinar: Email Deletion Spring Cleaning Workshop for State Employees, April 19, 2023
- April 19, 2023 Webinar slides
- Web Tutorial: Email Management Tips
Guidance Specific to Microsoft 365 applications
- Microsoft 365 Records Management Guidance
- Teams Types: IARA Microsoft Teams Records Management Guidance
Electronic Records Policies
- 20-01: Electronic Records Retention and Disposition (effective 1/15/2020, replaces Policies 06-01 and 12-01)
- 20-02: Electronic Records Technical Standards (effective 1/15/2020, replaces Policies 06-01 and 12-01)
- 22-01: Retention, Disposition, and Archival Responsibilities for State Staff Electronic Mailboxes (effective 5/25/2022)
How to Transfer Electronic Records
If you have electronic records that are scheduled for transfer to the Indiana Archives, please work with your agency's records coordinator to contact the Electronic Records Program at firstname.lastname@example.org. The program staff will explain the process, determine the extent of the materials, and discuss options for facilitating the transfer. If you do not have specific records to transfer and just want to learn more about transferring records electronically to the Indiana Archives, please reach out to email@example.com.
Destroying Electronic Storage Media
For electronic media destruction information, please see the IARA Electronic Media Destruction Program page.