The Indiana Department of Health Division of Vital Records is responsible for maintaining and issuing certified copies of vital records, including birth, death, and fetal death certificates for events that occurred in Indiana. The office of Vital Records officially began recording births in 1907, and death recordings began in 1900.
The current processing time for birth and death certificates through the state is 12-16 weeks. Currently processing orders received in mid-April 2022 (updated 11/14/22).
For faster birth certificate service, those who were born in Indiana can place orders through the local health department for the county they were born in. Click here to view local health department information.
The deadline to obtain a Real ID has been extended to May 3, 2023.
Services We Provide
- Certified copies of birth and death certificates
- Process record corrections and amendments
- Process Adoption Decrees
- Certified copies of marriage records
- Process Acknowledgement of Paternity requests
- Process Disinter/Reinter requests