Facility Reported Incidents
Staff and personnel of comprehensive care and residential care facilities licensed by the Indiana Department of Health (IDOH) should submit incident reports online via the IDOH Gateway Incident Reporting System. Incident follow-up and/or additional information regarding an incident is also submitted via the Incident Reporting System.
Consumers needing to submit a complaint on a licensed healthcare facility or entity should visit Reporting a Complaint about a Health Care Facility.
To report a reasonable suspicion of a crime against a resident, please visit Reporting a reasonable suspicion of a crime against a resident.
Reporting Guidance and Regulation
Incident reporting guidance and regulation for comprehensive care and licensed residential care facilities can be found at IDOH LTC Abuse and Incident Reporting Policy. The IDOH LTC Abuse and Incident Reporting Policy provides guidance on the type of incidents to be reported, timeline for reporting and information to be included in the incident report.
The initial and follow-up report can be submitted together if all the necessary information has been obtained within the timeframe for initial reporting.
Information related to an evacuation or an event involving the Emergency Management Agency must be reported by phone immediately to 317-460-7287.
Incident Reporting when the Online System is Down
- Complete the Incident Reporting Form and email it to email@example.com.
- Within 24 hours of Gateway being accessible, report the incident through the incident reporting system. Please attach the incident report form to the incident in Gateway.
- Reporting an incident via voicemail is available ONLY when the Incident Reporting System and email are not functioning:
- Incident reporting secure voicemail line phone number is 317-233-7241.
- Please include:
- Name and title of reporter
- Name of facility
- Address of facility
- Type of incident (examples on Incident Reporting Form)
- Description of injury
- Name(s) of resident(s)
- Name(s) of staff involved
- Immediate action taken
| Indiana Department of Health |
Consumer Services & Health Care Regulation
2 N. Meridian St., 4B
Indianapolis, IN 46204
|Director, Complaint and Incident Reporting Program |
Long Term Care Receptionist: 317-233-7442|
IDOH Main Switchboard: 317-233-1325