Close Menu

Main Content

2016 Individual Income Tax Information for Unemployment Insurance Recipients

NOTICE: As of April 2016, all Claimants are required to provide a working email address and information about their Indiana driver’s license or state identification card (if issued) when registering an Uplink account. If you have not accessed your Uplink account since this change took effect, you will need to complete email verification and provide additional information to update your account the next time you log on.

Since January 31, 2017, your tax statement (form 1099G) is available to print or download from your Uplink account. Please access your Uplink account as soon as possible to ensure your email address and personal information are correct and up to date.

How Do I Access My 1099G Tax Statement from My Uplink Account?
After you have logged in to your Uplink account online, click the blue “Correspondence History” button. A link to your 1099G will be posted in the correspondence list. Simply click the link and the 1099G will open. Hint: If you have trouble finding it in the list, try typing “1099” in the search field. This will pull only the posted 1099G items directly to the top of the results.

What If I Forgot My Uplink Username or Password?
From the Uplink Claimant Self Service Logon page, click either the “Forgot Password?” or “Forgot Username?” buttons. You will need to enter your Social Security Number, date of birth and answers to security questions.

What If I Haven’t Accessed My Account Since Before the Change To Uplink?
If you haven’t completed email verification yet, then you will not be able to access your account with your Username and Password. Instead, from the Uplink Claimant Self Service Logon page, click the “Forgot Username?” button. This will direct you to screens to enter your SSN and date of birth, and answer your security question. Additional screens will allow you to complete the email verification and provide additional required information. During this process, be sure to have your Indiana driver’s license or state ID card with you (if you have one). Completing these steps will reactivate your Uplink account. You will then be able to access your 1099G from the Correspondence History list.

How Do I Change My Email Address and Personal Information in Uplink?
Once you have logged into your Uplink account, click on your name or user ID to visit your Uplink homepage. You may then click the “Change Personal Info” in drop down menu under username at the top of the screen.

Why Do I Have to Pay State and Federal Taxes on Unemployment Insurance Benefits?
Unemployment insurance benefits are taxed at the state and federal levels and in most cases is not tax deductible.

Will My Form 1099G Show If I Have Paid Back Overpaid Benefits?
The 1099G does not reflect direct repayments or tax refund intercepts applied to benefit overpayments. Claimants are responsible for keeping record of these repayments for their tax reporting purposes.  Please refer to your monthly statements, copies of cleared checks from your bank, payment confirmations if paid online and/or tax statements showing refunds intercepted by Indiana DWD.

Do I Qualify For Free Income Tax Preparation through Indiana FreeFile?
You may qualify for free income tax preparation and filing through Indiana FreeFile. Visit www.in.gov/dor/4741.htm for more information.

Where Can I Get Additional Assistance?
The Uplink Customer Support Center is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (EST) to answer questions about the Uplink system. You may reach a Customer Service Specialist by calling (800) 891-6499.  Note: DWD staff cannot provide advice on tax filing. For assistance in filing your taxes, please consult a qualified tax specialist.

Equal Opportunity is the Law. Equal Opportunity Employer/Program Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.

News and FAQs

DWD News

View More News