Language Translation
  Close Menu

Inheritance Tax Forms

Inheritance tax was repealed for individuals dying after December 31, 2012. Individuals submitting a Form IH-5, claim for refund, need to file directly with DOR. This requirement applies ONLY to refunds for:

  • Payments made after 9/30/2020 or
  • Returns with orders entered after 9/30/2022

For more information visit our Inheritance Tax webpage. fill-in pdf

Name State Form NumberDescription File Type
IH-5 48834 Claim for Refund - Inheritance and Estate Taxes fill-in pdf

Inheritance Tax Matters

The legislature repealed the Indiana Inheritance Tax in 2013. Some pre-2013 estates continued to file original or amended returns. However, no Inheritance Tax returns for Indiana residents or non-residents must be prepared or filed after October 5, 2023.

In accordance with Indiana Code 34-11-1-2, the Department will not seek recovery of prior Inheritance Tax matters after October 5, 2023. In addition, the Department will not require a Consent to Transfer (Form IH-14) for any assets transferred after October 5, 2023. Previously, Inheritance Tax had to be paid for individuals dying on or before December 31, 2012. Indiana Code 6-4.1.

You may contact us:

By email:

Call us at 317-232-2154, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., ET

Indiana Department of Revenue
Re: Inheritance Tax Division
P.O. Box 71
Indianapolis, IN 46206-0071

Income Tax Filing Requirements

To settle the taxes of a taxpayer who died during a tax year, a surviving representative or spouse must file a return if the deceased was under the age of 65 and had an adjusted gross income of more than $1,000; the deceased was age 65 or older and had an adjusted gross income of more than $2,000; or the deceased was a nonresident and had any income from Indiana.

Signing the Deceased Individual's Tax Return

If a surviving spouse is filing a joint return, they should sign their name and include, "Filing as Surviving Spouse;” executors and administrators will indicate the same (e.g., “John Doe, administrator”); or if an executor has not been appointed, the person should indicate their relationship to the deceased (e.g., "John Doe, nephew").

Cashing a Refund Check

If you can't access or cash a refund check, contact the State Comptroller at 317-232-3300 for assistance.