This new law takes effect July 1, 2020 and has two requirements – one for staff training and the other involves developing a plan of care for a student with seizures. Resources to assist schools with implementing this law are posted below.
Laws and Guidance
- Seizure Training for Staff (IC 20-28-3-9)
- Seizure Management Plan (IC 20-34-3-26)
- Care of Students with Seizures FAQ Document
- Seizure Legislation Memo (4-24-20)
Training for Staff
Training for Staff – The law allows schools several options for training staff who have direct, ongoing contact with students regarding the recognition of the signs and symptoms of seizures and the appropriate steps to be taken to respond to these symptoms. Schools can chose to complete this state-mandated training by completing one of the following options:
- In-person presentation
- Electronic, online course for school personnel
- Free 60 minute course; with pre- and post-test; certificate awarded
- To take this course: Start here
- Self-study packet of information – participant must review each of the documents posted below
- Any other method approved by the governing body or organizer of a charter school that is consistent with current professional standards
Seizure Management Plan
Once a Seizure Management Plan is presented to the school – a Registered School Nurse must create an Individual Health Plan for each student with seizures. Resources specifically for schools nurses can be found on the IDOE Moodle Platform, in the School Nurse Community. Directions for joining this community can be found here.