April is Child Abuse Prevention Month. This occasion provides advocates across the state a chance to raise awareness of community efforts to stop child abuse and neglect.
Child Abuse Prevention Month Kickoff
Where: Indiana Statehouse South Atrium or virtual
When: April 4, 2023 - 11 a.m.
This year, we're kicking off Child Abuse Prevention Month with an in-person event at the Indiana Statehouse. Attendees will hear from Gov. Eric J. Holcomb, DCS Director Terry Stigdon, The Villages CEO/President Shannon Schumacher and PCAIN Director Jeff Wittman. This year’s theme is Building Together: Prevention in Partnership.
How can you help prevent abuse and neglect?
- If you suspect abuse or neglect, please call the Indiana Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline at 1-800-800-5556.
- Purchase a ‘Kids First’ Indiana License plate
- Get involved with Prevent Child Abuse Indiana (PCAIN)
- Learn about Safe Sleep
- Schedule a Safe Tots training
- Refer parents to Healthy Families Indiana
- Donate to the Indiana Diaper Bank
- Connect pregnant women to the Pregnancy Promise Program
- Learn about Indiana’s prevention framework
- Tell families about Family Resource Centers (FRCs)
- Connect families to other resources:
- Mom’s Help line: 1-844-MCH-MOMS
- Indiana’s resource and support line: 211
- Suicide & crisis lifeline: 988
- Consider becoming a foster parent! Learn more at IndianaFosterCare.org.
- Spread the word about Child Abuse Prevention Month using our social media toolkit.
For more information and resources on preventing child abuse and neglect, click here.
Photos from the state kickoff can be found here.
Download the Framework and Toolkit for Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect:
"Supportive Communities, Resilient Families, Thriving Children: Indiana’s Framework for Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect" provides a road map for the state and local communities to better support, empower, and protect families. It is centered on primary prevention efforts, or services and interventions available to the general population, to prevent child maltreatment before it happens. Download the framework and toolkit here.