Language Translation
  Close Menu

Food Service

The information provided below addresses food service facilities in Floyd County, Indiana. This information will be helpful to current restaurant owners, and individuals planning a new restaurant, remodeling an existing operation, or planning for a temporary event in Floyd County.

If you are remodeling a food service facility or building a new facility in Floyd County there are State and Local Regulations that may affect the facility design and/or construction. To verify compliance with these regulations, apply your facility designs to Retail Food Safety Sanitation Requirements Rule 410 IAC 7-24.

Before construction or remodeling may begin on any facility, a plan review must be completed and returned to the Floyd County Health Department. Plans should be prepared by an architect or submitted on graph paper by the owner, also included should be a list of equipment model numbers, technical specifications, and quantities. A list of current fees is also listed on this website under Fee Schedule.

Starting a Retail Food Establishment in Floyd County

Starting a retail food business requires careful planning, knowledge of food safety, and skillful management, in addition to knowledge of Indiana Food laws and any local regulations. Indiana State Department of Health 410 IAC 7-24-79 defines a retail food establishment as "an operation that stores, prepares, packages, serves, vends, or otherwise provides food for human consumption." This includes delivery service or a mobile/temporary facility where consumption is on or off the premises, such as a festival food vendor, regardless of whether there is a charge for the food.

All food establishments located in Floyd County are required to register with the Floyd County Health Department. Documents/applications can be electronically submitted to, although payments (in-office or by mail) for plan review or permits will be required prior to review.

Retail Food Establishment Inspections

The Floyd County Health Department inspects permitted facilities in Floyd County based on the establishment’s menu type and its’ assessed risk, as well as complaints. The most recent inspection for each establishment are available to access online or additional inspections for establishments can be requested by filling out a Public Records Request Form.


If you have a complaint regarding an establishment in Floyd County, please fill out a Food Complaint Form and email it to If you are experiencing a foodborne illness, please visit your family physician or local emergency facility to possibly obtain a stool sample.  Floyd County requires a 72-hour food history (what you ate/drank 72 hours prior to the onset of symptoms) to be submitted along with the complaint in order to try to determine the cause of the illness.

Food-borne illness complaints can also be made on the website at: