Children and Spouse of Indiana National Guard
The Commission offers a supplement to other state grants by guaranteeing 100% of tuition and regularly assessed fees for students who are the child or spouse of a member of the Indiana National Guard who suffered a service connected death while serving on state active duty.
The supplemental grant is limited to a maximum of 124 semester credit hours. The maximum amount that an eligible applicant is exempt from paying for a semester hour is an amount equal to the cost of an undergraduate semester credit hour at the state educational institution in which the eligible applicant enrolls.
- Must be an individual whose father, mother or spouse was a member of the Indiana National Guard and suffered a service connected death while serving on state active duty**
- Must be eligible to pay the resident tuition rate (as determined by the institution) at an Eligible Indiana Institution
- Must possess the requisite academic qualifications
**The deceased Indiana National Guard member must have been killed in the line of duty while deployed in the active military (Army or Air Force) or while engaged in other state active duty as determined by the Military Department of Indiana (MDI) under IC 10-6-7-7.
PLEASE NOTE: Children must be the biological or legally adopted child of the covered Indiana National Guard member, and spouses must have been married to the covered member at the time of death. At the time of legal adoption, a child must have been less than 24 years of age, unmarried with no dependents and not a veteran of the armed forces. Adoption by the spouse of the covered Indiana National Guard member is not valid for inclusion of a child in the program.
HOW TO APPLY
- Submit a complete and corrected current year FAFSA with an eligible Indiana institution listed.
- Submit the Children and Spouse of Indiana National Guard Application through ScholarTrack and all necessary documentation by mail to MDI office (see below) at least 30 days before the start of the semester.
After receipt of the application, MDI will return an approved application to the student. If the application is not approved, the student will be so notified in writing. Please direct all MDI correspondence to:
Joint Forces Headquarters
ATTN: Education Services Office
9301 East 59th Street
Lawrence, IN 46216