Indiana Purple Heart Recipient
The Commission offers a supplement to other state grants by guaranteeing 100% of tuition and regularly assessed fees for students who are Indiana veterans who are Purple Heart Recipients.
The benefit is limited to a maximum of 124 credit hours. If the veteran initially enlisted before June 30, 2011, there is no time limit to use the allotted 124 credit hours. If the veteran initially enlisted after June 30, 2011, the allotted 124 credit hours must be used within 8 years after the date the student first applied.
This benefit may be used at the undergraduate, graduate and professional degree level. Tuition and regularly assessed fees for all students will be paid at the undergraduate rate charged by the institution.
- Must have entered active duty service from a permanent home address in Indiana
- Must have received an honorable discharge
- Must have received the Purple Heart decoration for that active duty service
- Must be eligible to pay the resident tuition rate at the Eligible Indiana Institution the person will attend
- Must possess the requisite academic qualifications
- Must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as determined by the institution to remain eligible
- Must not be in default or overpayment of student loan or grant
- Must file the FAFSA annually
HOW TO APPLY
- Submit a complete and corrected FAFSA prior to application (please allow 5-7 business days for processing)
- Submit the Indiana Purple Heart Recipient Application and all necessary documentation to the Indiana Department of Veterans' Affairs office (see below) at least 30 days before the start of the semester.
After receipt of the application, the Indiana Department of Veterans' Affairs will return an approved application to the student. If the application is not approved, the student will be notified in writing. Please direct all questions to the IDVA at:
Indiana Department of Veterans' Affairs
302 W. Washington Street, Rm. E-120
Indianapolis, IN 46204