Info Agency Main Banner Content
Identification cards may be issued to an Indiana resident of any age who does not have a driver’s license. You cannot hold both an identification card and a driver’s license at the same time, even if one is issued by another state.
A Motor Driven Cycle Class B (MDC - Class B) endorsement can be added to an identification card as long as the holder is at least 15 years of age and passes an MDC - Class B knowledge test. To apply for a free identification card, you must visit a BMV branch and present documents proving your identity, Social Security number, lawful status, and Indiana residency.
IDENTIFICATION CARD FORMS
- Affidavit - State Form 37964
- Affidavit - State Form 49555
- Limited Power of Attorney – Credential Pick Up - State Form 55328
Identification Card Validity
- An identification card is valid for six years.
- Identification cards issued to lawful temporary residents expire upon the applicant’s end of lawful presence date.
Photo Exempt Identification Card
You can apply for a photo exempt identification card at any BMV branch if you have a sincerely held religious belief against the taking of your photograph.
- You can download a frequently asked questions document, here:
In order to apply for a photo exempt identification, you must provide the documents required for issuance of a regular identification card, along with the following documents:
- A valid Social Security number; or,
- A documented affirmation of your sincerely held religious belief against the issuance of a Social Security number and a completed IRS Form 4029; or,
- A documented affirmation of your sincerely held religious belief against the taking of your photograph
- A documented statement from a member of your clergy prohibiting the taking of your photograph
- Valid documentary evidence that the applicant is a citizen or national of the United States
You can register your decision to become an organ donor when renewing or updating your identification card. You can also register to become an organ donor at any time by visiting the Donate Life Indiana website.