The ISP salary is competitive with surrounding state police agencies. During academy
training, recruits receive $1,417.40 bi-weekly as a Trooper Trainee. At the completion
of academy training, the starting annual salary is $38,444.00 as a Probationary
Trooper. ISP also offers an excellent health care plan, which includes medical,
dental, vision and pharmacy coverage for both current and retired employees, along
with their families. After 25 years of service, the ISP pension program provides
a lifetime benefit. Additionally, the Department provides comprehensive disability
coverage and a life insurance program.
Pay Matrix: Sworn Matrix - Effective July 2008
- Police employees earn 12 vacation
days annually. Additional vacation days are granted after 5, 10 and 20 years of
service to a maximum of 25.
- Uniform, ordinance, automotive
and other equipment is furnished by the Indiana State Police Department.
- Group individual or family medical,
prescription, dental and vision insurance is available for the employee and eligible
- The State of Indiana provides
$20,000.00 life insurance with an additional accidental death benefit of $149,000.00.
Supplemental life insurance is available for the employee and eligible dependents
at nominal rates.
- A pension plan that incorporates
a voluntary Deferred Retirement Option Program (D.R.O.P.) and a Partial Lump Sum
Option (P.L.S.O.) retirement benefit program.
- Troopers may purchase years of
service credit for eligible prior
The purchased service credit counts toward the calculation of retirement pension
benefits, not toward years of service.
- Military service
- Indiana municipal police officer service
- Indiana sheriff's deputy service
- Other Indiana county police officer service
- Indiana State Excise police officer service
- Indiana Conservation Enforcement officer service.