You need a watercraft dealer license if you sell, offer to sell, or advertise for sale at least six (6) watercraft or trailers* within a 12 month period.
*trailers must be designed and used exclusively for the transportation of watercraft and sold in general association with the sale of watercraft
We encourage those wanting to obtain their manufacturer license in the State of Indiana to review the applicable state statutes (Indiana Code 9-32) and administrative rules (Indiana Administrative Code Title 75) regarding dealer licensing. Indiana statutes and rules can be found on the General Assembly’s website at iga.in.gov.
Please be sure to fill the application out completely and submit all required documents with the application. Failure to include required information or documents can delay the processing of your application.
Online application available at dealers.sos.in.gov. Help guide available here.
The following must be submitted with the completed application.
- Background Check*
- Business Entity Documentation (INBiz)
- Certificate of Insurance
- Indiana Vehicle Merchandising Certificate/Bond (SF 53966)
- License Fee
- Photo Identification
- Photos of the Location
- Retail Merchant Certificate (Indiana Dept. of Revenue)
- Zoning Affidavit (SF 55936)**
*Background check results more than 60 days old at the time the application is submitted will not be accepted.
**Zoning Affidavits signed by a zoning official more than 90 days prior to the date the application is submitted will not be accepted.
Exemptions are available for some requirements. Questions should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cannot be a residence or temporary location
- No other dealer is operating there
- Can accept mail*
- Must be :
- in Indiana
- accessible by the public
- Physical location:
- Conspicuous, permanent sign in the same name that is on your license
- Sign must also include hours of operation
- Customer parking
- Display space for at least 10 watercraft
- Not in a retail complex (e.g. strip mall)
*an exception is available if your location is not serviced by USPS
Dealer Account Helpline: 317-576-2568