You need a transport operator license if:
- You are an Indiana business that furnishes drivers and operators for the purpose of transporting motor vehicles in transit from one (1) place to another by the drive away or tow away methods.
- You need a transport operator license if you are an Indiana business that prepares newly purchased motor vehicles of the business and delivers the motor vehicles to the locations where the motor vehicles will be based, titled, and registered.
We encourage those wanting to obtain their transport operator dealer license in the State of Indiana to review the applicable state statutes (Indiana Code 9-32) and administrative rules (Indiana Administrative Code Title 75) regarding dealer licensing. Indiana statutes and rules can be found on the General Assembly’s website at iga.in.gov.
Please be sure to fill the application out completely and submit all required documents with the application. Failure to include required information or documents can delay the processing of your application. The license application must be completed by a dealer owner or dealer manager.
Online application available at dealers.sos.in.gov.
The following must be submitted with the completed application.
- Background Check
- Business Entity Documentation (INBiz)
- Certificate of Insurance
- License Fee
- Copy of Photo Identification
*Background check results more than 60 days old at the time the application is submitted will not be accepted.
- Transport Operator Application Guide
- Report a Plate as Lost, Stolen, or Mutilated
- Request Additional Plates (within your existing limit)
- Request a Plate Limit Increase
- Request Replacement Plates
- Transport Operator Renewal
- Update Insurance
Dealer Account Helpline: 317-576-2568
Your renewal date may shift as part of the transition. Please review the below renewal schedule (effective July 1, 2021):
Transport Business Name Begins With
Plate Expiration Date
Non-alpha (number or symbol)