Language Translation
  Close Menu

Automotive Salvage Recycler

You need an automotive salvage recycler license if you want to do any of the following:

· Sell a used major component part of a motor vehicle.
· Wreck, dismantle, shred, compact, crush, or otherwise destroy a motor vehicle so you can sell the major component parts or scrap material.
· Rebuild a wrecked or dismantled motor vehicle for resale.
· Engage in the business of storing, disposing, salvaging, or recycling of motor vehicles, vehicle hulks, or parts of motor vehicles.

We encourage those wanting to obtain their recycler license in the State of Indiana to review the applicable state statutes (Indiana Code 9-32) and administrative rules (Indiana Administrative Code Title 75) regarding dealer licensing. Indiana statutes and rules can be found on the General Assembly’s website at

Please be sure to fill the application out completely and submit all required documents with the application. Failure to include required information or documents can delay the processing of your application.

Online application available at Help guide available here.

Required Documents  

The following must be submitted with the completed application.

  1. Background Check*
  2. Business Entity Documentation (INBiz)
  3. Certificate of Insurance
  4. Indiana Vehicle Merchandising Certificate/Bond (SF 53966)
  5. License Fee
  6. Photo Identification
  7. Photos of the Location
  8. Retail Merchant Certificate (Indiana Dept. of Revenue)
  9. Zoning Affidavit (SF 55936)**

*Background check results more than 60 days old at the time the application is submitted will not be accepted.
**Zoning Affidavits signed by a zoning official more than 90 days prior to the date the application is submitted will not be accepted.

Location Requirements

Exemptions are available for some requirements. Questions should be submitted to

  • All recyclers:
    • Cannot be a residence or temporary location
    • Must be in Indiana
    • Able to accept mail delivery*
    • Conspicuous, permanent sign in the same name that is on your license
    • Sufficient storage space
  • Additional requirements if you buy from/sell to the general public at your location:
    • Accessible by the public
    • Customer parking
    • Adequate display space
    • Office
      • 100 sq ft (minimum)
      • Furnished
      • Functioning utilities
      • Overall reflective of a functional recycler
    • Sign must include hours of operation

*an exception is available if your location is not serviced by USPS



Phone: 317-234-7190

Dealer Account Helpline: 317-576-2568