License and Plate Renewals
Both dealer licenses and dealer license plates expire annually:
Dealer Business Name Begins With
License and Plate Expiration Date
Non-alpha (number or symbol)
If your license renewal date is less than 6 weeks away and you have not received a renewal form, please email email@example.com. Please include your dealer number and county in your email.
If you are subscribed to notifications on your online dealer account, you will receive reminders about your upcoming license renewal on your dashboard and via email.
Submitting your renewal
- Can choose online or paper
- Submit your renewal only once. Do not submit via email, then fax, then online.
- You can submit your renewal up to 90 days in advance of your expiration date.
Completing your renewal
- Make sure the expiration dates on your bond and insurance fall after your license expiration dates.
- The insurance certificate holder must be the Indiana Secretary of State. We will not accept certificates that list the BMV as a certificate holder.
Checking on your submitted renewal
- Check the “Recent Transactions” box on your dealer dashboard.
- Renewal applications submitted online should appear on the dashboard within 30 minutes.
- If you submitted your renewal by mail, email, or fax, please allow 7 business days for the renewal to appear on your dashboard before calling or emailing our office for a status update.
- Please check your dashboard before calling or emailing our office to confirm receipt or check for a status update. The answer is probably there!
We have anywhere from 200-900 renewal packets to process each month. So please be patient if you are calling or emailing our office during the last week of a month. During that week our priority is getting renewals processed, so it takes us a bit longer to carve out time for responding to voicemails and emails.
Renewing Dealer License Plates
- You cannot report plates as lost, stolen, or damaged as part of the renewal. This is a separate process.
- You will be invoiced for your dealer plates after your license renewal has been approved.
- You can pay for your plates invoice online.