You need an automotive salvage recycler license if you want to do any of the following:
- Sell a used major component part of a motor vehicle.
- Wreck, dismantle, shred, compact, crush, or otherwise destroy a motor vehicle so you can sell the major component parts or scrap material.
- Rebuild a wrecked or dismantled motor vehicle for resale.
- Possess for more than thirty (30) days more than two (2) inoperable motor vehicles*
- Engage in the business of storing, disposing, salvaging, or recycling of motor vehicles, vehicle hulks, or parts of motor vehicles.
*Unless you have a mechanics lien on the vehicle(s)
Questions about completing the license application? Please review our License Application Guide.
Step 1 - Important legal review
We encourage those wanting to obtain their manufacturer license in the State of Indiana to review the applicable state statutes (Indiana Code 9-32) and administrative rules (Indiana Administrative Code Title 75) regarding dealer licensing. Indiana statutes and rules can be found on the General Assembly’s website at iga.in.gov.
Step 2 - Completing the application
Online application - available here.
Paper application - State Form 40248 available here.
Please review the application before filing it out and be sure to fill it out completely and submit all required documents with the application. Failure to include required information or documents can delay the processing of your application. The license application must be completed by a dealer owner or dealer manager.
The following must be submitted with the completed application. For additional details, please see the license application guide above:
- Zoning Affidavit (SF 55936)
- Indiana Vehicle Merchandising Certificate/Bond (SF 53966)
- Certificate of Insurance
- Photos of the Established Place of Business
- Business Entity Documentation
- Retail Merchant Certificate
- Photo Identification
- Background Check
- License Fee
Questions about completing the license application? Check out the following resources:
Step 3 - Submit the application
If you choose to complete the paper application, please send your documents to our office at one of the addresses below. Please include your dealer name in the memo line of any check you submit to our office
Mail: Office of the Indiana Secretary of State
Auto Dealer Services Division
302 W. Washington St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (please put License Application in the subject line)