Close Menu

How to file a complaint

If you or someone you care about lives in a nursing home, a licensed residential care facility (assisted living) or an adult family care home, you have the right to file a complaint regarding your concerns about the quality of life or care for yourself or your loved one.

There are several ways you may express your concerns:

  • Talk directly to staff and/or leadership at the facility.
  • File a written grievance with the facility.
  • Voice your concerns at the facility resident council meeting or family council meeting.
  • Call the Indiana State Department of Health Complaint Line at 800-246-8909.
  • Contact your state or local Long-Term Care Ombudsman at 800-622-4484, email at longtermcareombudsman@fssa.in.gov or by submitting your complaint on our website.

If you decide to file a complaint with the LTC Ombudsman Program, here is what you can expect:

  • The information we receive is confidential.
  • You have the right to remain anonymous.
  • The LTC Ombudsman Program staff will review your complaint within 2-3 business days of receipt of the complaint.
  • If you provide your contact information, a representative of the LTC Ombudsman Program may contact you for additional information.
  • The LTC Ombudsman Representative will follow up with the resident because we are “resident- directed.”
  • If the resident or resident’s representative requests and grants permission to receive help from the program, an Ombudsman will assist the resident or their representative to try to resolve their concerns.

When communicating your complaint to the LTC Ombudsman Program, be sure to provide the following information:

  • The name of the resident(s).
  • Your name and contact information (unless you prefer to remain anonymous).
  • The name and city where the facility is located.
  • Specific details about the nature of your concern.