- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Family and Social Services Administration

FSSA Home > Aging Services > Aging Home > Ombudsman Long Term Care Ombudsman

The Indiana Long Term Care Ombudsman Program is a federal and state funded program that provides advocacy and related services for consumers of congregate long term care services, regardless of age or payer source. Congregate settings include nursing facilities, residential care facilities, assisted living facilities, adult foster care homes and county operated residential care facilities.

The mission of the Long Term Care Ombudsman Program is to improve the quality of life and care for residents of long term care facilities. That mission is accomplished through investigation and resolution of individual complaints, consumer education designed to inform and empower consumers, system advocacy which includes legislation and public policy activities, promotion of community involvement in long term care, and other activities designed to improve long term care delivery and oversight.

There are 22 certified local and numerous volunteer Ombudsmen who are representatives of the Office of the State Long Term Care Ombudsman which is located in the Division of Aging. These representatives operate out of 17 local offices across the state, whose numbers are listed below. Anyone may contact the Ombudsman program on behalf of a long term care consumer, but Ombudsmen are guided in their actions by the individual receiving direct service. There is no charge for Ombudsman services. The names of persons contacting Ombudsmen and the information they provide is confidential.

Contact the State Long Term Care Ombudsman

Office of the Long Term Care Ombudsman
402 West Washington Street, Room W451
Post Office Box 7083, MS 27
Indianapolis, Indiana 46207-7083
Phone: 1-800-622-4484 or 317-232-7134

What does the Ombudsman do?

  • Receives, investigates, and attempts to resolve problems or complaints affecting residents of long term care facilities.
  • Answers questions and provides information and referrals about long term care related services, including alternatives to nursing home care and how to choose a nursing home.
  • Promotes resident, family, and community involvement in long term care
  • Promotes community education and awareness of the needs of residents
  • Coordinates efforts with other agencies and organizations concerned with long term care
  • Identifies issues and problem areas in long term care and recommend needed changes.

Rights of Long Term Care facility residents:

When a person moves into a long term care facility they retain all their rights as a private citizen, plus, under federal and state law, they gain numerous other rights as a resident of the facility. Some of these rights, in abbreviated form, are listed below:

  • Right to be informed about and exercise their rights
  • Right to know about services and financial charges
  • Right to participate in planning their care and treatment
  • Right to refuse treatment
  • Right to confidentiality of records
  • Right to privacy
  • Right to control their finances
  • Right to freedom from abuse, neglect, and exploitation
  • Right to freedom from chemical and physical restraints
  • Right to express grievances without fear of retaliation
  • Rights pertaining to admissions, transfers, and discharges, including the right to appeal
  • Right to communicate freely with persons of their choice

Who can contact the Ombudsman?

  • Residents or potential residents of long term care facilities
  • Relatives or friends of long term care residents
  • Long term care administrators and employees
  • Representatives of agencies and professional groups
  • Members of community groups or citizens interested in improving long term care

Ombudsmen contact numbers throughout the state:

  • State Ombudsman – 1-800-622-4484 or 317-232-7134
  • Ombudsman area contact map (03/02/2016)
  • Area 1
    Northwest Indiana Community Action Corp
    1-800-826-7871 or 219-462-7365
    Covers Jasper, Porter, Pulaski, Starke counties
  • Area 1
    Northwest Indiana Community Action Corp.
    1-800-826-7871 or  219-794-1829, Ext. 2216
    Covers Lake, Newton counties
  • Area 2
    Real Services, Inc
    1-800-552-7928 or 574-284-7198
    Covers Elkhart, Kosciusko, St. Joseph counties
  • Area 2
    Real Services, Inc
    1-800-552-7928 or 574-284-7135
    Covers LaPorte, Marshall, St. Joseph counties
  • Area 3
    LTC Ombudsman Program
    1-877-523-5362 or 260-469-3161
    Email: or
    Covers Adams, Allen, DeKalb, Huntington, LaGrange, Noble, Steuben, Wells and Whitley counties
  • Area 4
    Indiana Legal Services, Inc.
    1-800-382-7581 or 765-423-5327 ext. 16
    Covers Benton, Carroll, Clinton, Fountain, Tippecanoe, Montgomery, Warren and White counties
  • Area 5
    Area Five Agency on Aging & Community Services, Inc.
    1-800-654-9421 or 574-737-2169
    Covers Fulton, Cass, Miami, Wabash, Howard, and Tipton counties
  • Area 6
    Indiana Senior Law Project
    1 - 800-589-1121 or 765-759-1121 ext. 131
    Email: or
    Covers Blackford, Delaware, Grant, Henry, Jay, Madison and Randolph counties
  • Area 7
    Area 7 Agency on Aging & Disabled
    1-800-489-1561 or 812-238-1561
    Covers Clay, Parke, Putnam, Sullivan, Vermillion and Vigo counties
  • Area 8
    Indiana Senior Law Project
    1-800-869-0212 or 317-631-9410
    Email: , or (Assisted Living)
    Covers Marion, Boone, Hamilton, Hancock, Shelby, Johnson, Morgan and Hendricks counties
  • Area 9
    Area 9 In-Home and Community Services Agency
    1-800-458-9345 or 765-966-1795
    Covers Fayette, Rush, Franklin, Union and Wayne counties
  • Area 10
    Area 10 Agency on Aging
    1-800-844-1010 or 812-876-3383
    Covers Monroe and Owen counties
  • Area 11
    Indiana Legal Services, Inc.
    1-866-644-6407 or 812-372-6918
    Covers Bartholomew, Brown, Decatur, Jackson and Jennings counties
  • Area 12
    Area 12 Ombudsman Services
    1-800-742-5001 or 812-689-3753
    Covers Dearborn, Jefferson, Ohio, Ripley and Switzerland counties
  • Area 13
    1-800-742-9002 or 812-888-5158
    Covers Daviess, Dubois, Knox, Greene, Martin and Pike counties
  • Area 14 
    LifeSpan Resources, Inc.
    1-888-948-8330 or 812-948-6428
    Covers Clark, Floyd, Harrison and Scott counties
  • Area 15
    Southern Indiana Center for Independent Living
    1-800-845-6914 or 812-277-9626
    Covers Crawford, Lawrence, Orange and Washington counties
  • Area 16 
    Indiana Legal Services, Inc.
    1-800-852-3477 or 812-426-1295 ext. 8232
    Covers Gibson, Perry, Posey, Spencer and Warrick counties
    Vanderburgh county

Report Fraud