Language Translation
  Close Menu

Environmental Health

Kim Hawkins
Environmental Health Specialist

  • Hours of Operation

    Monday - Thurs
    8:00am - 1:00pm 
    (765) 832-3622

  • On-Site Sewage Disposal

    Why Should You Maintain Your System?

    • Money - poor maintenance results in failed systems. Repairs or even system replacement is costly. Pumping your system costs an average of $150-$250; saving you thousands of dollars on repairs or replacement.
    • Health - Your family, community, and the environment depend on you to properly dispose of your wastewater. Sewage contains disease-causing organisms. If not properly treated, groundwater and surface water will become contaminated; putting your community's health at risk.
    • Economy and Ecosystem - pollution of watersheds affect our ecosystem as well as our economy. Recreational areas may be closed down and natural wildlife will be affected. Odors of sewage will be unpleasant, decreasing your property value.

    According to the EPA, the most commonly reported failure of Residential Systems is hydraulic overloading. This is caused by wastewater flow or pollutant loads exceeding your systems design capacity; thereby causing the effluent to quickly move through the tank, decreasing pollutant removal and clogging/overloading your absorption field.

    The Vermillion County Health Department enforces all state and local rules governing on-site sewage disposal with the goal of safeguarding public health and assuring that residential and commercial on-site sewage disposal systems (septic systems) in Vermillion County are properly permitted, installed, maintained, and operated in an environmentally safe manner. To view the state rule, local ordinance, or for information on obtaining and installing a septic system in Vermillion County, click on the links at the right.

    A properly functioning septic system will increase the value of your home, and benefit your neighborhood, community, and environment. A poorly functioning or failing septic system can be foul-smelling and unsightly and can contaminate well water and surface waters with disease-causing pathogens and nitrates.

    Contact the VCHD Environmental Section if you plan on building a new house, add on to an existing house, or repair or upgrade an existing septic system. A permit from this office must be obtained before any construction begins on a septic system and is required prior to obtaining a construction permit from the Vermillion County Planning and Building Office.

    Additional Information

  • Swimming Pool Safety

    Vermillion County Health Department is responsible for permitting and inspecting public and semi-public swimming pools and enforcing Indiana's Swimming Pool Rule and the county's local swimming pool ordinance. Operators of public and semi-public pools are required to submit weekly water samples to ensure the continued safe operation of pools. Operators should also note the requirements of the federal Virginia Graeme Baker Pool Act and the Federal Swimming Pool and Spa Drain Cover Standard that went into effect on December 19, 2008. For further information on pool safety and operation click on the links at the right.

  • Complaint Investigation

    Vermillion County Health Department investigates complaints of an environmental nature such as illegal dumping, open burning, homes that are unfit for human habitation, and other public health-related issues. We will also investigate complaints regarding food and swimming pool safety. We will only respond to written complaints filed with our office. You may call our office at (765) 832-3622 for a copy of the complaint form. Complete the form and return it to our office if you would like to file a complaint. All of the complainants' information will remain confidential unless and until a subpoena is issued by a judge in cases that go to court.

    Please view the ordinances listed to ensure that the complaint you would like to file can be addressed by the Health Department. Also, if the property is within the corporate limits of any municipality within Vermillion County your complaint may need to be filed with that governing body.

    Additional Information