The Indiana State Data Center maintains a collection of statistical data from the Decennial Censuses of Population and Housing from 1790 through 2020. The Census Bureau has conducted numerous demographic and economic surveys in addition to the decennial census, providing economic data on topics such as manufacturing, retail trade, wholesale trade, construction, and more. Agricultural data has been collected for over 150 years. While the Data Center has access to these topics and the 1990-2010 Decennial Censuses online, by CD or DVD, and in publications, statistics from previous censuses are available also in books and on microform in the library. Historical data is periodically digitized and can be located on the Internet.
- IN Context
Published by the Indiana Economic Development Corporation and the Indiana Business Research Center (Indiana University's Kelley School of Business). Published every two months, IN Context offers substantive articles on the Indiana economy in context within the state and the nation.
- Indiana Economic Digest
Curated daily news on business and economic events across Indiana
- Indiana Business Review
Published quarterly by the Indiana Business Research Center (Indiana University's Kelley School of Business).
Indexes and Bibliographies to Census Publications in the Data Center:
- Bureau of the Census Catalog of Publications, 1790-1972.
State Data Center Z7554 .U5
- Dubester's U.S. Census Bibliography with SuDocs Class Numbers and Indexes by Kevin L. Cook.
State Data Center Z7553 .C3 C66 1996.
- Index to Indiana Statistics in the Decennial Census Publications (1810-1880)
General Publications about Census Bureau Statistics in the Data Center:
- The American Census: A Social History by Margo J. Anderson. HA37.U55 A53
Examines not only the social history of the Census, but how the intellectual, institutional, political, and military history of the U.S. affected each of the Census questionnaires.
- A Guide to State and Local Census Geography by the Bureau of the Census and the Association of Public Data Users.
A guide to the specific census and political geographic areas in each state, report idiosyncrasies that exist for a State.
- Historical Statistics of the United States, Colonial Times to 1970 U.S. Census Bureau
- Measuring America: The Decennial Censuses From 1790 to 2000 by the U.S. Census Bureau.
Contains a brief history of how each Census was taken and gives a copy of the questionnaire.
- Population and Housing Inquiries in U.S. Decennial Censuses, 1790 - 1970 by Bureau of the Census.
Displays charts showing the data items that are available from each census through 1970.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States by U.S. Census Bureau.
Published since 1878 to 1012, it is the standard summary of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States. It is now published by Proquest:
Publications from the U.S. Census Bureau
- Census Atlas of the United States, 2000 (2007)
- Census Bureau - Historical Data and Reports
- Statistical Abstract of the United States (1878 - 2012)
- Other publications, covering topics from Agriculture to Transportation
FD KS 3-19-2021