Language Translation
  Close Menu

State Surplus FAQ

What is state-owned Surplus property?

State-owned surplus property is anything owned by the State that is determined to be no longer useful or needed by a state agency.

What are the State laws that apply?

IC 5-22-21

IC 5-22-22

What are the operating hours and address of the State Surplus warehouse?

The warehouse is open Monday through Friday 8 AM to 3:30 PM except on holidays.  Payments and pick up of on-line auction items must be completed by 3 PM Monday through Thursday.  On Fridays payments are accepted 8 AM to Noon.   Our address is 601 W. McCarty Street, Suite 100, Indianapolis, IN  46225.

Can any State employee obtain property from the State Surplus warehouse at no cost?                                                                                                            

No.  State employees must be authorized by their respective Agency’s Disposition Agent to obtain property from the warehouse.  All property will be released for the Agency’s use only and not for the personal use of an employee.

Disposition Agents can authorize employees to shop in the State Surplus warehouse by sending a letter for each visit or by requesting they be added to our permanent shoppers list by email to

Can State employees bid on items being sold?

Only if authorized by their respective Commissioner and it does not violate IC 5-22-21-11 which states the following are prohibited from bidding:  A) A state employee which has participated in the disposal process of the property.  B) The spouse and/or child of the state employee.  C) An agent of any individual describe above.  Employees of the State Surplus Division are NOT authorized to bid on any items being sold by the Division.

Can State-owned surplus property be donated?

Only computers and related equipment are donated to Indiana schools.  All other property must be sold or scrapped.

Who can purchase state-owned Surplus property?

Surplus state-owned property can be transferred to state agencies, purchased by local units of government, or purchased by the general public, in that order. Nonprofit organizations are not allowed to purchase State-owned surplus property directly and must submit bids same as the general public.

Are prices marked on the items for sale?

No. Items sold through auction or sealed bid may be subject to a minimum bid starting point and are sold to the highest and responsible bidder.

What is a Performance Bond?

A performance bond is a required deposit that ensures that a bidder removes all awarded items. This bond is returned to the bidder upon complete item removal.

What methods of payment are accepted?

Public bidders may pay by cash, certified checks, cashier's checks or money orders. Personal and company checks are not acceptable. Credit cards and letters of credit are not accepted.  Local units of government must provide a purchase order or claim voucher and will receive an invoice for payment which is due within 90 days.

 Top FAQs