Language Translation
  Close Menu

What IDEM Regulates

Wastes in Indiana are regulated by the solid waste, hazardous waste, septage and biosolids or other waste type programs in the Office of Land Quality (OLQ). Indiana has rules that control the management of these wastes. The requirements are different for the storage, treatment/processing, and disposal depending on the waste type. Most of these activities require IDEM approval through a permit or registration.

Certain activities only have rule requirements as they do not need IDEM approval. Approved Facilities who are permitted and registered need to self-inspect their waste units and activities. Both activities needing IDEM approval and activities not needing IDEM approval are inspected by OLQ for compliance with applicable rules.

Facilities and Activities that do not Need an IDEM Approval, Permit, or Registration but are Still Regulated by IDEM

The following facilities generally do not need a permit from IDEM. However, under certain circumstances these facilities may need to obtain a permit and should contact their appropriate permit manager with questions:

  • Generators (Producers) of Non-Hazardous Solid Waste that process their waste onsite
  • Generators of Hazardous Waste (depending on amount and length of storage of waste)
  • Hazardous Waste Transporters and Transfer Facilities
  • Used Oil Generators, Transporters, Handlers and Re-refineries
  • Universal Waste Generators, Transporters and Handlers
  • Household Hazardous Waste Collection Centers
  • Auto Salvage Yards
  • Certain Recycling and Reuse activities exempted by rule
  • Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCB) and other toxic waste generators and transporters

A facility may have various types of wastes and could need multiple permits or registrations.

Facilities and Operations that IDEM Regulates

  • Alternate Fuel Processors
    • Facilities that burn solid wastes with certain fuel values
  • Biomass Digesters and Gasification Facilities
    • Facilities that process biomass and appropriate feedstock through a digester or gasifier to recover energy or a reusable product must have registration from OLQ.
  • Biosolids Land Application
    • The use of biosolids, some industrial waste products and pollutant-bearing water as a soil amendment or as fertilizer requires a permit from IDEM.
  • Coal Combustion Residuals
    • Electric utilities and independent power producers that dispose of coal combustion residuals must comply with these regulations.
  • Collection Container Systems
    • The operator of a collection container system must file a notification with IDEM and receive approval before beginning operation. (329 IAC 12)
  • Composting Facilities
    • Facilities that compost vegetative matter and certain organic matter need a registration approval from IDEM. All other waste composting facilities need a solid waste processing facility permit.
  • Landfills
    • Various solid waste land disposal facilities.
  • Mobile Home Salvaging Facilities
    • Businesses that salvage parts and metals from mobile homes that are no longer suitable for use are required to have a registration from OLQ.
  • Processing Facilities
    • Operations that change the property of waste.
  • Septage
    • Managing (including haulers), storing, or land applying septage.
  • Waste Tire Operations
    • Waste tire transporters, storage facilities (except those that store below a certain number), and processers are required to have a registration from OLQ before beginning operation).

Hazardous Waste

Other Wastes