Businesses that dismantle or demanufacture mobile homes, store discarded mobile homes and mobile home parts, recycle mobile homes, or process mobile home salvage parts and metals are regulated by rules in the Indiana Administrative Code (IAC) under 329 IAC 11.6 [PDF]. Owners or operators must obtain a registration from IDEM and comply with applicable requirements under 329 IAC 11.6.
Indiana’s mobile home salvaging rules help prevent threats to human health or the environment, including the creation of a fire hazard or vector attraction; air, land, or water pollution; or other contamination.
Referenced forms are available on the IDEM Agency Forms page.
Facilities and activities that are excluded from regulation under 329 IAC 11.6-3-1 [PDF] include:
- Facilities that hold a valid permit under 329 IAC 10 [PDF] or 329 IAC 11 [PDF] to process, store, or dispose solid waste.
- Any storage or processing of:
- Mobile homes where the mobile home is manufactured, marketed, or sold.
- Abandoned mobile homes that have not been moved after abandonment.
- Facilities that are permitted under 329 IAC 3.1 [PDF] and not required to obtain permits for the storage, treatment, or disposal of nonhazardous solid waste where such solid waste is treated or disposed of as a hazardous waste at the receiving hazardous waste facility.
- Facilities that do not have more than 60 tons of mobile homes, structures, parts, and residue on-site at any one time and do not cause harm to human health or the environment. The amount of residue must always be less than 40 tons to maintain the exclusion.
- Facilities that process 12 or fewer mobile homes in a year. The amount of residue must always be less than 40 tons to maintain the exclusion.
How to Register
Owners or operators of regulated mobile home salvaging facilities must complete and submit the Mobile Home Salvaging Facility Registration Application (State Form 55307) and requested documentation to IDEM per 329 IAC 11.6-4-1 [PDF]. Instructions are provided on the form. There is no application fee, and public notice is not required.
Mobile home salvaging registrations are valid for up to 5 years. Registrations are not transferable. When property upon which a mobile home salvaging facility is located and/or operating changes ownership, the new owner must apply to IDEM for a new registration 30 days in advance of taking ownership of the facility, and may operate the facility in the interim.
Financial Assurance for Cleanup and Closure
To protect Indiana taxpayers from the costs of cleaning up abandoned facilities, owners or operators of facilities that have or store more than 40 cubic yards of residue on-site at any one time are required by 329 IAC 11.6-5-1(f) [PDF] to obtain financial assurance under 329 IAC 11.6-9-1. Financial assurance provides IDEM with funds to clean up and close a facility if the owner or operator were to abandon or does not remove and properly dispose of waste remaining at an operation that goes out of business.
The amount of financial assurance is determined by multiplying the maximum amount, estimated in tons, of residue on-site at any one time by $75. To obtain the language necessary for financial assurance mechanisms, please contact the financial assurance staff listed on the Contact page.
Other Regulatory Requirements
In addition to obtaining a registration from IDEM, owners or operators of regulated mobile home salvaging facilities must comply with other applicable requirements in 329 IAC 11.6 [PDF], including:
- Storage requirements for mobile homes and structures (329 IAC 11.6-5-1)
- Operational requirements for processing of mobile homes or mobile home parts (329 IAC 11.6-6-1)
- Waste determination requirements (329 IAC 11.6-2-21)
- Requirements for disposal of mobile homes, structures, or residue at either a permitted Indiana facility or appropriate facility out of state (329 IAC 11.6-7-1)
- Cleanup and closure standards when the facility ceases operating (329 IAC 11.6-8-1)
Owners or operators should check with local government agencies to determine if local approvals are required.
Modifications or Registration Renewals
Modifications to a facility must be approved by IDEM, and are required prior to a change in the facility process, the facility location, or the amounts of mobile homes or structures that are delivered daily, and the maximum number of each to be stored on-site.
Registration renewals are due at least 60 days before expiration of the current registration.
Owners or operators must complete and submit the Mobile Home Salvaging Facility Registration Application (State Form 55307) and requested documentation to IDEM for modifications or renewals. Instructions are provided on the form.
Please contact the Solid Waste Permits Section staff for assistance with mobile home salvaging regulations, registration, or questions concerning compliance.