Language Translation
  Close Menu

Construction and Demolition Waste

Construction and demolition (C/D) waste is solid waste from construction, remodeling, repair, or demolition of structures. It must be handled and disposed of properly in a state permitted municipal solid waste (MSW) landfill, non-MSW landfill, or C/D site that is authorized to accept such waste. C/D waste may include scrap lumber, bricks, concrete, stone, glass, wallboard (drywall), roofing, plumbing fixtures, wiring, and nonasbestos insulation. The term is defined in state rules at 329 IAC 10-2-37 [PDF]. Sustainable management of construction and demolition materials is covered by the U.S. EPA.

C/D waste does not include fluorescent light fixtures, appliances, regulated asbestos-containing material (defined in federal regulation 40 CFR 61, Subpart M), or other waste materials resulting from C/D activities. These materials, when placed in a landfill, would potentially result in contamination of groundwater or present a risk to human health or the environment.

Regulated asbestos-containing materials are not allowed to be disposed in C/D sites. The Office of Air Quality provides other guidance on proper precautions when handling asbestos-containing materials in various circumstances.

Uncontaminated rocks, bricks, concrete, road demolition debris, and dirt are not subject to solid waste regulations (329 IAC 10-3-1 (1)), and therefore do not have to be disposed in a landfill. Uncontaminated, untreated, and unpainted dimensional lumber similar to natural growth solid waste is also not subject to regulation as a solid waste (329 IAC 10-3-1 (2)). Such debris may be left or buried on-site, or may be used off-site as fill, so long as such activity complies with local and other state and federal regulations. For example: placement of fill material in a wetland or floodway will need to comply with Section 401 and Section 404 of the Clean Water Act.

Be sure to check with local city and county officials for ordinances and/or regulations regarding demolition projects. You may need a permit from the city and/or county where the demolition is to occur prior to beginning a demolition project.